Jesus rises from the dead
In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of
the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
Around dawn on the first day of the week [1
], Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to the sepulchre.
And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord
descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
When they arrived, there was a big earthquake. [2
An angel of the Lord rolled back the stone that closed the tomb, and sat on it. 
His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:
He looked like lightning and his clothes were white as snow.
And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men.
When the guards saw him they shook with fear and looked like dead men.
And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know
that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.
He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the
He's not here. He rose from the dead as he said.
Come see the place where his body was lying.
And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead;
and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I
have told you.
Go quickly and tell his disciples that he has risen from the dead.
He has gone to Galilee. You'll see him there.
I have told you so.
And they departed
quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring
his disciples word.
They left the sepulchre with fear and joy, running to tell his disciples. [4
And as they went to
tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came
and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.
As they went to tell his disciples, Jesus met them and said,
Hi, you all.
And they grabbed him by his feet and worshiped him. [5
Then said Jesus unto
them, Be not afraid: go tell my brethren that they go into Galilee,
and there shall they see me.
Jesus said to them,
Don't be afraid. Tell my brothers to go to Galilee and they'll see me there. 
The priests bribe the guards
Now when they were going, behold, some of the watch came into the city,
and shewed unto the chief priests all the things that were done.
While they were going, some of the guards told the chief priests what had happened.
And when they were assembled with the elders, and had taken counsel, they
gave large money unto the soldiers,
Saying, Say ye, His disciples came by night, and stole him away while we
The chief priests and elders gave a large sum of money to the guards, saying,
Jesus's disciples came and stole his body while we slept.
And if this come to the governor's ears, we will persuade him, and secure
If the governor finds out about it, we'll persuade him not to punish you.
So they took the money, and did as they were taught: and this saying is
commonly reported among the Jews until
So the guards took the money, and did what they were told to do.
The Jews are still talking about this today. 
Jesus appears to his disciples (but some doubted)
Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed
The eleven disciples went to Galilee [8
], to a mountain that Jesus told them to go to.
And when they saw him,they worshipped him: but some doubted.
When the disciples saw Jesus, they worshiped him.
But some doubted. 
And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in
Jesus said to them,
Al power has been given to me in heaven and on earth. 
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,
baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy
So go teach all nations , baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and,
lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Teaching them to obey whatever I have commanded you.
I'm with you always, even until the end of the world. Amen.
- As it began to dawn ... came Mary Magdalene and
the other Mary to see the sepulchre. (v.1)
How many women went to the sepulchre?
When did they arrive?
- There was a great earthquake. (v.2a)
A great earthquake! (See 27:51 for another.)
- The angel of the Lord ... rolled back the stone and sat upon it. (v.2b)
Whom did they see at the tomb?
Was the tomb open or closed?
Were the men or angels inside or outside the tomb when first seen?
- They departed quickly ... and did run to bring his disciples word. (v.8)
Did they immediately tell the disciples?
- As they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them.... And
they came and held him by the feet. (v.9)
Since "feet" is often a biblical euphemism for genitals, then maybe....
To whom did Jesus first appear?
Did Mary Magdalene recognize Jesus?
Was it OK to touch the risen Jesus?
Was Mary Magdalene happy or sad when she saw the risen Jesus?
- Go tell my brethren that they go into Galilee, and there shall they see me. (v.10)
Where did Jesus tell his disciples to meet him?
- Until this day (v.15)
Once again (see also 27:8),
the phrase "until this day"; implies that the gospel of Matthew
was not written until long after the events supposedly occurred.
- The eleven disciples went away into Galilee. (v.16)
How many disciples did Jesus appear to in his first post resurrection appearance?
- When they saw him .... some doubted. (v.17)
Even some of Jesus' apostles doubted that
the allegedly risen Christ was really Jesus. Well if they weren't sure, how could we ever be?
- All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. (v.18)
How much power did Jesus have?
- Teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of
the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. (v.19)
Should the gospel be preached to everyone?
In whose name is baptism to be performed?
- Teach everyone to obey all of Jesus's commandments.
- Teach all nations ... Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you. 28:18-20
- Baptize everyone in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
- Go ye therefore, ... baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. 28:19
- Dwindling in Unbelief
- In the name of the Father, and
of the Son, and of the Divine Guide, Amen (Matthew 28:19)
- Christian Responses
- The Annotated Skeptic's Annotated Bible
- They came
unto the sepulchre (Matthew 28)
- Matthew 28 (Preface) - The Easter Challenge
- Matthew 28:1 - The Time of the Tomb-visit(s)
- Matthew 28:1 - How Many Women Went to the Tomb?
- Matthew 28:2 - Where were the Angels?
- Matthew 28:2-3 - The Rolling Stone
- Matthew 28:2 - Whom Did the Women See?
- Matthew 28:8 - The Women's Message
- Matthew 28:9 - Who Saw Jesus First?
- Matthew 28:9 - Mary Magdalene
- Matthew 28:9 - Mary, Let Go of Me
- Matthew 28:10 - Where's the Rendesvous-point?
- Matthew 28:15 - Unto This Day, Again (Cross-reference)
- Matthew 28:17 - Doubting Disciples
- Matthew 28:19 - Baptism: In Whose Name?
- SAB Author Answered
- SAB Author Answered