Every Jot and Tittle: All the commandments in the Bible|
- Commandments about the Commandments
- Commandments about God
- Other Gods and Beliefs
- Holy Things and Holy Days
- Priests, Levites, Nazarites, and Prophets
- Business, Law, and Government
- Slavery, War, and Genocide
- Crime and Punishment
- Sex, Homosexuality, and Circumcision
- Marriage, Divorce, Children, and Human Life
- Animals, Agriculture, and the Environment
- Animal Sacrifice
- Health, Diet, Alcohol, Clothing, and Personal Hygiene
- Jesus's Commandments
- Just for Christians
- Good Rules
- Fortune Cookie Commandments
-248 Positive Mitzvot
-365 Negative Mitvot
List of all the commandments in the order of their occurrence in the Bible
Every Jot and Tittle: All the commandments in the Bible
Chapter 17: Good Rules
There are 175 commandments in the Bible that seem (to me, at least) good. This is out of a total of 1648, giving a percent good of 10.6.
(Jesus's good commandments are listed separately here.)
Truth and Honesty
Strangers, Widows, and Fatherless Children
Good and Evil
Wealth and Poverty
Deaf and Blind People
Love and Hate
Animals and Agriculture
Wisdom, Knowledge, and Understanding
Peace and Mercy
Pride and humility
Doctrines and Beliefs
(Numbered P and N links are to the positive and negative commandments on Maimonides's list.)
- Don't kill.
Thou shalt not kill. Exodus 20:13, Deuteronomy 5:17,
Do not kill. Mark 10:19
- N289: Don't kill a human being - Ex 20:13
- Punishment: Beheading
- Don't kill innocent people.
The innocent ... slay thou not. Exodus 23:7
Shed not innocent blood. Jeremiah 7:6
- N290: No capital punishment based on circumstantial evidence - Ex 23:7
- Don't kill an innocent person for money.
Cursed be he that taketh reward to slay an innocent person. And all the people shall say, Amen.
- Don't commit adultery.
Thou shalt not commit adultery. Exodus 20:14, Deuteronomy 5:18,
Jesus said, ... Thou shalt not commit adultery. Matthew 19:18
Do not commit adultery. Mark 10:19
- Rejoice with your wife.
Rejoice with the wife of thy youth. Proverbs 5:18
Live joyfully with the wife whom thou lovest. Ecclesiastes 9:9
- Be kind to your wife.
Let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth. ... Take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.
- Husbands, love your wives.
(Like you love your own body.)
Husbands, love your wives. Ephesians 5:25
So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. Ephesians 5:28
Let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself. Ephesians 5:33
- Husbands, honor your wife.
(As the weaker vessel.)
Ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel.
1 Peter 3:7
- Honor your father and mother.
Honour thy father and thy mother. Exodus 20:12; Deuteronomy 5:16;
Matthew 15:4, 19:19; Mark 10:19
- P210: Honor your parents - Ex 20:12
- Listen to your father.
Hear the instruction of thy father. Proverbs 1:8
Hearken unto thy father that begat thee. Proverbs 23:22a
- Teach your children well.
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6
- Don't hate your mother when she gets old.
Despise not thy mother when she is old. Proverbs 23:22b
- Fathers, don't make your children angry.
Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged. Colossians 3:21
- Don't steal.
Thou shalt not steal. Exodus 20:15,
Deuteronomy 5:19, Matthew 19:18,
Ye shall not steal. Leviticus 19:11
Thou shalt not ... rob him [your neighbor]. Leviticus 19:13
Become not vain in robbery. Psalm 62:10
Do not steal. Mark 10:19
Let none of you suffer as a ... thief. 1 Peter 4:15
- N243: Don't abduct an Israelite - Ex 20:13
- Punishment: Strangling
- N244: Don't steal money - Lev 19:11
- N245: Don't commit robbery - Lev 19:13
- N247: Don't usurp our debts - Lev 19:13
- N248: Don't repudiate our debts - Lev 19:11
- N249: Don't swear falsely in repudiating your debts - Lev 19:11
- Don't commit armed robbery.
If a man be just, and do that which is lawful and right, and ... hath spoiled none by violence.
- Stop stealing.
Let him that stole steal no more. Ephesians 4:28
Truth and Honesty
- Don't lie.
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour. Exodus 20:16,
Thou shalt not raise a false report. Exodus 23:1
Neither deal falsely, neither lie one to another. Leviticus 19:11
Let not ... truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart.
Be not a witness against thy neighbour without cause; and deceive not with thy lips.
Speak ye every man the truth to his neighbour ... and love no false oath: for all these are things that I hate, saith the Lord.
Thou shalt not bear false witness. Matthew 19:18
Do not bear false witness. Mark 10:19
Thou shalt not bear false witness. Romans 13:9
Speaking the truth. Ephesians 4:15
Putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour. Ephesians 4:25
Lie not one to another. Colossians 3:9
- N281: Judge not to listen to one litigant in absence of the other - Ex 23:1
- N285: Don't bear false witness - Ex 20:63
- Punishment for N285: Whipping
- Don't make false accusations.
Keep thee far from a false matter. Exodus 23:7a
- Don't defraud.
Thou shalt not defraud thy neighbour. Leviticus 19:13
Defraud not. Mark 10:19
For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.
For this is the will of God, even your sanctification ...
That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter. 1 Thessalonians 4:2-6
- Don't cheat.
Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment, in meteyard, in weight, or in measure. Just balances, just weights, a just ephah,
and a just hin, shall ye have. Leviticus 19:35-36
Thou shalt not have in thy bag divers weights, a great and a small. Thou shalt not have in thine house divers measures, a great and a small.
But thou shalt have a perfect and just weight, a perfect and just measure shalt thou have: that thy days may be lengthened in the land which the
LORD thy God giveth thee. Deuteronomy 25:13-15
- P208: The law of weights and measures - Lev 19:36
- N271: Don't cheat in measurements and weights - Lev 19:35
- N272: Don't keep false weights and measures - Dt 25:13
- Find and adhere to the truth.
Buy the truth, and sell it not. Proverbs 23:23
- Love the truth.
Love the truth. Zechariah 8:19a
- Be honest in your dealings with others.
Provide things honest in the sight of all men. Romans 12:17
- Be fully persuaded in your own mind.
Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. Romans 14:5
- Don't oppress strangers.
Thou shalt neither vex a stranger, nor oppress him: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.
Thou shalt not oppress a stranger: for ye know the heart of a stranger, seeing ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.
Oppress not the stranger. Jeremiah 7:6
Oppress not ... the stranger. Zechariah 7:10
- N252: Don't wrong a proselyte by speech - Ex 22:21
- N253: Don't wrong a proselyte in business - Ex 22:21
- Don't oppress one another.
Ye shall not oppress one another. Leviticus 25:14
Ye shall not therefore oppress one another. Leviticus 25:17
Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways. Proverbs 3:31
If a man be just, and do that which is lawful and right, and ... hath not oppressed any.
- N250: Don't wrong one another in business - Lev 25:14
- N251: Don't wrong one another by speech - Lev 25:17
- Don't oppress the poor and afflicted.
Thou shalt not oppress an hired servant that is poor and needy, whether he be of thy brethren, or of thy strangers that are in
thy land within thy gates. Deuteronomy 24:14
Neither oppress the afflicted. Proverbs 22:22
And oppress not ... the poor.Zechariah 7:10
- Don't trust in oppression.
Trust not in oppression. Psalm 62:10a
- Relieve the oppressed.
Relieve the oppressed. Isaiah 1:17b
- Don't oppress the fatherless.
If ye oppress not ... the fatherless ... Then will I cause you to dwell in this place, in the land that
I gave to your fathers, for ever and ever. Jeremiah 7:6-7
Oppress not ... the fatherless. Zecharaiah 7:10
- Don't oppress widows.
Oppress not ... the widow. Jeremiah 7:6
Oppress not the widow. Zecharaiah 7:10
Strangers, Widows, and Fatherless Children
- Don't afflict widows and fatherless children.
(Or God will kill you with the sword.)
Ye shall not afflict any widow, or fatherless child. If thou afflict them in any wise, and they cry at all unto me, I will surely hear their cry; And my wrath shall wax hot,
and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless. Exodus 22:22-24
- N256: Don't deal harshly with orphans and widows - Ex 22:21
- Punishment: Death at the hand of God
- Don't vex strangers.
If a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not vex him. Leviticus 19:33
- Love the stranger as yourself.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were
strangers in the land of Egypt Leviticus 19:34
Love ye therefore the stranger. Deuteronomy 10:19
- P207: Love the stranger - Dt 10:19
- The same laws apply to strangers as to those who live in your country.
Ye shall have one manner of law, as well for the stranger, as for one of your own country.
- Don't pervert the judgment of strangers.
Thou shalt not pervert the judgment of the stranger. Deuteronomy 24:17a
Cursed be he that perverteth the judgment of the stranger.... And all the people shall say, Amen.
- N280: A Judge must not pervert justice due to proselytes or orphans - Dt 24:17
- Don't pervert the judgment of fatherless children.
Thou shalt not pervert the judgment ... of the fatherless. Deuteronomy 24:17b
Cursed be he that perverteth the judgment of the ... fatherless.... And all the people shall say, Amen. Deuteronomy 27:19
- Don't pervert the judgment of widows.
Cursed be he that perverteth the judgment of the ... widow. And all the people shall say, Amen. Deuteronomy 27:19
- Plead for widows.
Plead for the widow. Isaiah 1:17
- Visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction.
Visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction. James 1:27
Good and Evil
- Don't do evil just because everyone else is.
Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil. Exodus 23:2
If sinners entice thee, consent thou not. Proverbs 1:10
Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men. Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away.
- Do good.
Thou shalt do that which is right and good in the sight of the LORD. Deuteronomy 6:18
Do good. Psalm 34:14, 37:3,
37:27, 1 Peter 3:11
Make your ways and your doings good. Jeremiah 18:11
Stablish you in every good word and work. 2 Thessalonians 2:17
Be not weary in well doing. 2 Thessalonians 3:13
Be ready to every good work. Titus 3:1
Learn to maintain good works. Titus 3:14
To him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. James 4:17
- Don't say evil things.
Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile.
- Don't do evil things.
Depart from evil. Psalm 34:14a, 37:27,
Cease to do evil. Isaiah 1:16
Let none of you suffer as ... an evildoer. 1 Peter 4:15
- Don't envy the bad guys.
Neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. Psalm 37:1
Envy thou not the oppressor. Proverbs 3:31
Let not thine heart envy sinners. Proverbs 23:17
Be not thou envious against evil men, neither desire to be with them. Proverbs 24:1
Neither be thou envious at the wicked. Proverbs 24:19
- Don't return evil for evil.
Say not thou, I will recompense evil. Proverbs 20:22
Say not, I will do so to him as he hath done to me. Proverbs 28:29
Recompense to no man evil for evil. Romans 12:17a
See that none render evil for evil unto any man. 1 Thessalonians 5:15
Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing.
1 Peter 3:9
- Seek good.
Seek good. Amos 5:14a
- Avoid evil.
Seek ... not evil. Amos 5:14b
Eschew evil. 1 Peter 3:11
- Hate evil.
Hate the evil. Amos 5:15a
- Love the good.
Love the good. Amos 5:15b
- Cleave to that which is good.
Cleave to that which is good. Romans 12:9
- Overcome evil with good.
Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21
- Don't get tired of doing good things.
Let us not be weary in well doing. Galatians 6:9
- Do good to everyone.
Do good unto all men. Galatians 6:10
- Beware of evil workers.
Beware of evil workers.
- Follow that which is good.
Ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men. 1 Thessalonians 5:15
Follow ... that which is good. 3 John 11
- Don't follow evil.
Follow not that which is evil. 3 John 11
Wealth and Poverty
- Don't deny justice to poor people.
Thou shalt not wrest the judgment of thy poor in his cause. Exodus 23:6
- N278: A Judge must not pervert justice against person of evil repute - Ex 23:6
- Help the poor.
If thy brother be waxen poor, and fallen in decay with thee; then thou shalt relieve him: yea, though he be a stranger,
or a sojourner; that he may live with thee. Leviticus 25:35
If there be among you a poor man of one of thy brethren within any of thy gates in thy land which the LORD thy God giveth thee,
thou shalt not harden thine heart, nor shut thine hand from thy poor brother. But thou shalt open thine hand wide unto hi
m. Beware that there be not a thought in thy wicked heart, saying, The seventh year, the year of release, is at hand; and thine eye
be evil against thy poor brother, and thou givest him nought; and he cry unto the Lord against thee, and it be sin unto thee.
Thou shalt surely give him, and thine heart shall not be grieved when thou givest unto him: because that for this thing the Lord thy
God shall bless thee in all thy works, and in all that thou puttest thine hand unto.
For the poor shall never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother,
to thy poor, and to thy needy, in thy land. Deuteronomy 15:7-11
Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the
wicked. Psalm 82:3-4
He that giveth unto the poor shall not lack. Proverbs 28:27
We should remember the poor. Galatians 2:10
- P195: Give to charity - Lev 24:35, Dt 15:11
- N232: Don't Fail to give charity to our needy brethren - Dt 15:7
- If you become wealthy, don't value your riches too much.
If riches increase, set not your heart upon them. Psalm 62:10b
- In so far as you are able, help those who deserve to be helped.
Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it.
- Don't close your ears to the cry of the poor.
Whoso stoppeth his ears at the cry of the poor, he also shall cry himself, but shall not be heard. Proverbs 21:13
- Don't rob poor people.
Rob not the poor. Proverbs 22:22
- Don't hide your eyes from the poor.
He that giveth unto the poor shall not lack: He that hideth his eyes shall have many a curse. Proverbs 28:27
- Defend the poor and those who cannot speak for themselves.
Open thy mouth for the dumb in the cause of all such as are appointed to destruction. Open thy mouth, judge righteously, and plead
the cause of the poor and needy. Proverbs 31:8-9
This was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, ... neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.
- Feed the hungry.
If a man be just, and do that which is lawful and right, and ... hath given his bread to the hungry.
Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared
for you from the foundation of the world: For I was ahungered, and ye gave me meat.
- Rich people should do good by distributing their wealth among others.
That they [the rich] do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute.
1 Timothy 6:18
- Don't treat the rich better than the poor.
If there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment;
And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou
there, or sit here under my footstool: Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?
Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised
to them that love him? But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before the judgment seats?
- When you see a poor person, don't shut up your bowels of compassion.
Whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, h
ow dwelleth the love of God in him? 1 John 3:17
Deaf and Blind People
- Don't curse deaf people.
Thou shalt not curse the deaf. Leviticus 19:14a
- N317: Don't curse an Israelite - Lev 19:14
- Punishment: Whipping
- (Maimonides said that if it was wrong to curse the deaf, it was even worse to curse a Jew.)
- Don't cause a blind person to stumble.
Nor put a stumblingblock before the blind. Leviticus 19:14b
Cursed be he that maketh the blind to wander out of the way. And all the people shall say, Amen.
- N299: Don't give misleading advice - Lev 19:14
- Don't accept a bribe.
Thou shalt take no gift: for the gift blindeth the wise, and perverteth the words of the righteous.
Woe unto them that ... justify the wicked for reward. Isaiah 5:22-23
- N274: A judge must not accept gifts from litigants - Ex 23:8
- Judge others fairly.
(Rich and poor, weak and powerful, Israelite and stranger.)
Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honor the person of the mighty:
but in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour. Leviticus 19:15
Judge righteously between every man and his brother, and the stranger that is with him. Ye shall not respect persons in judgment; but ye
shall hear the small as well as the great; ye shall not be afraid of the face of man.
Judges and officers shalt thou make thee in all thy gates, which the LORD thy God giveth thee, throughout thy tribes: and they shall
judge the people with just judgment. Thou shalt not wrest judgment; thou shalt not respect persons, neither take a gift: for a gift
doth blind the eyes of the wise, and pervert the words of the righteous. That which is altogether just shalt thou follow.
If a man be just, and do that which is lawful and right, and ... hath executed true judgment between man and man.
Do justly. Micah 6:8
Execute true judgment. Zechariah 7:9
- P177: Treat litigants equally before the law - Lev 19:15
- N273: A Judge must not commit unrighteousness - Lev 19:15
- N275: A Judge must not favor a litigant - Lev 19:5
- N276: A Judge must not avoid just judgement through fear of a wicked person - Dt 1:17
- N277: A Judge must not decide in favor of a poor man through pity - Ex 23:3, Lev 19:5
- N284: Don't appoint an unlearned judge - Dt 1:17
Love and Hate
- Don't hate your brother.
Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart. Leviticus 19:17
- N302: Don't hate one another - Lev 19:17
- Love your neighbor as yourself.
Love thy neighbour as thyself. Leviticus 19:18, Matthew 22:39,
Mark 12:31, Luke 10:27, Romans 13:9,
Galatians 5:14, James 2:8
- P206: Love your neighbor - Lev 19:18
- Do everything with charity.
Let all your things be done with charity. 1 Corinthians 16:14
Above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. Colossians 3:14
Follow ... charity. 2 Timothy 2:22
- Serve each other in love.
By love serve one another. Galatians 5:13
- Stand in the presence of old people.
Thou shalt rise up before the hoary head. Leviticus 19:32a
- P209: Honor scholars and the aged - Lev 19:32
- Honor the face of an old man.
Honour the face of the old man. Leviticus 19:32b
- P209: Honor scholars and the aged - Lev 19:32
Animals and Agriculture
- Leave the corners of your field and some of your grapes in your vineyard unharvested for poor people and strangers to eat.
When ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt not wholly reap the corners of thy field, neither shalt thou gather the
gleanings of thy harvest. And thou shalt not glean thy vineyard, neither shalt thou gather every grape of thy vineyard; thou shalt leave
them for the poor and stranger. Leviticus 19:9-10
And when ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt not make clean riddance of the corners of thy field when thou reapest, neither
shalt thou gather any gleaning of thy harvest: thou shalt leave them unto the poor, and to the stranger: I am the LORD your God.
- P120: Leave Peah (corner of fields) for the poor - Lev 19:9
- P121: Leave gleanings for the poor - Lev 19:9
- P123: Leave defective grape clusters for the poor - Lev 19:9
- P124: Leave grape gleanings for the poor - Lev 19:10
- N210: Don't reap all harvest - Lev 19:9
- N211: Don't gather ears of corn that fell during the harvest - Lev 19:9
- N212: Don't gather the whole produce of vineyard at vintage time - Lev 19:10
- N213: Don't gather single fallen grapes during the harvest - Lev 9:10
- If you kill someone else's animal, replace it.
He that killeth a beast shall make it good; beast for beast. Leviticus 24:18
He that killeth a beast, he shall restore it. Leviticus 24:21
- If you see a donkey or an ox fall down, lift it up.
Thou shalt not see thy brother's ass or his ox fall down by the way, and hide
thyself from them: thou shalt surely help him to lift them up again.
- P203: Assist the owner in loading his burden - Dt 22:4
- You may eat grapes from your neighbor's vineyard.
(But don't put any in your basket.)
When thou comest into thy neighbour's vineyard, then thou mayest eat grapes thy fill at thine own pleasure; but thou shalt not put any in thy vessel.
- P201: An employee is allowed to eat of the produce among which he is working - Dt 23:25-26
- You may pluck kernels of grain from your neighbor's farm.
(But don't cut any stalks down with a sickle.)
When thou comest into the standing corn of thy neighbour, then thou mayest pluck the ears with thine hand; but thou shalt not move a sickle unto thy neighbour's standing corn.
- N267: A hired laborer may not eat growing crops - Dt 23:26
- N268: A hired laborer may not put of the harvest in his own vessel - Dt 23:25
- If you forget to harvest some of your field, leave it for strangers, fatherless children, and widows.
When thou cuttest down thine harvest in thy field, and hast forgot a sheaf in the field, thou shalt not go again to fetch it: it shall be for the stranger,
for the fatherless, and for the widow. Deuteronomy 24:19
- P122: Leave the forgotten sheaf for the poor - Dt 24:19
- N214: Don't return for a forgotten sheaf - Dt 24:19
- Punishment for N214: Whipping
- Only beat your olive trees once.
(Leave what's left for strangers, fatherless children, and widows.)
When thou beatest thine olive tree, thou shalt not go over the boughs again: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow.
- After you pick your grapes, don't pick the ones you missed.
(Leave them for strangers, fatherless children, and widows.)
When thou gatherest the grapes of thy vineyard, thou shalt not glean it afterward: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless,
and for the widow. Deuteronomy 24:21
- Don't muzzle an ox while it is treading the grain.
Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn.
Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn.
1 Corinthians 9:9
- N219: Don't prevent a beast from eating the produce when it is working - Dt 25:4
- Punishment: Whipping
- Take care of your sheep and goats.
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds.
Wisdom, Knowledge, and Understanding
- Be wise.
Be wise. Psalm 2:10a, Pr 8:33
Keep sound wisdom and discretion. Proverbs 3:21
Get wisdom ... forget it not. Proverbs 4:5
Get wisdom. Proverbs 4:7
O ye simple, understand wisdom. Proverbs 8:32
Hear thou, my son, and be wise, and guide thine heart in the way. Proverbs 23:19
Buy ... wisdom. Proverbs 23:23
My son, be wise, and make my heart glad. Proverbs 27:11
Be ye not unwise. Ephesians 5:17
- Be instructed.
Be instructed. Psalm 2:10b
Hear counsel, and receive instruction. Psalm 19:20
Cease, my son, to hear the instruction that causeth to err from the words of knowledge. Psalm 19:27
Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life. Proverbs 4:13
Hear instruction ... and refuse it not. Proverbs 8:33
Apply thine heart unto instruction, and thine ears to the words of knowledge. Proverbs 23:12
Buy ... instruction. Proverbs 23:23
- Get understanding.
Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle,
lest they come near unto thee. Psalm 32:9
Get understanding: forget it not. Proverbs 4:5
Get understanding. Proverbs 4:7
Go in the way of understanding. Proverbs 9:6
- Exalt wisdom.
Exalt her [wisdom]. Proverbs 4:8
- Understand wisdom.
O ye simple, understand wisdom. Proverbs 8:5a
- Have an understanding heart.
Ye fools, be ye of an understanding heart. Proverbs 8:5b
- Forsake the foolish.
Forsake the foolish. Proverbs 9:6
- Listen to the words of the wise.
Bow down thine ear, and hear the words of the wise. Proverbs 22:17
- Don't be foolish.
Neither be thou foolish: why shouldest thou die before thy time? Ecclesiastes 7:17
- Don't be children in understanding.
Brethren, be not children in understanding. 1 Corinthians 14:20a
- Be adults in understanding.
But in understanding be men. 1 Corinthians 14:20b
Peace and Mercy
- Seek peace and pursue it.
Seek peace, and pursue it. Psalm 34:14b
Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace. Romans 14:19
Seek peace, and ensue it. 1 Peter 3:11
- Be merciful.
Let not mercy ... forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart.
Shew mercy and compassions every man to his brother. Zecharaiah 7:9
Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies.
- Don't fight for no reason.
Strive not with a man without cause, if he have done thee no harm. Proverbs 3:30
Let us walk ... not in strife. Romans 13:13
Be no brawlers. Titus 3:2
- Love mercy.
Love mercy. Micah 6:8
- Love peace.
Love ... peace. Zecharaiah 8:19b
- Try to live peaceably with everyone.
If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
Live in peace. 2 Corinthians 13:11
- Follow peace.
Follow ... peace. 2 Timothy 2:22
Follow peace with all men. Hebrews 12:14
- Don't endanger the life of your neighbor.
Neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour. Leviticus 19:16
- N297: Don't neglect to save the life of an Israelite in danger - Lev 19:16
- Don't smite your neighbor secretly.
Cursed be he that smiteth his neighbour secretly. And all the people shall say, Amen.
- Don't remove your neighbor's landmark.
Thou shalt not remove thy neighbour's landmark, which they of old time have set in thine inheritance, which thou shalt inherit in the land that the LORD thy God giveth thee to possess it.
Cursed be he that removeth his neighbour's landmark. And all the people shall say, Amen. Deuteronomy 27:17
Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy fathers have set. Proverbs 22:28
Remove not the old landmark. Proverbs 23:10
- N246: Don't fraudulently alter land boundaries - Dt 19:14
- Don't tell your neighbor, I'll help you tomorrow if you have the means to help them today.
Say not unto thy neighbour, Go, and come again, and to morrow I will give; when thou hast it by thee.
- Don't make evil plans against your neighbor.
Devise not evil against thy neighbour. Proverbs 3:29
Let none of you imagine evil against his brother in your heart. Zechariah 7:10
Let none of you imagine evil in your hearts against his neighbour. Zechariah 8:17
- Live life to the fullest. It's the only life you'll ever have.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave,
whither thou goest. Ecclesiastes 9:10
- Be happy while you are young.
Rejoice, O young man, in thy youth; and let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth, and walk in the ways of thine heart,
and in the sight of thine eyes: but know thou, that for all these things God will bring thee into judgment. Remove sorrow from thy heart.
- Whatever you do, do it heartily.
Whatsoever ye do, do it heartily.
Pride and Humility
- Don't be wise in your own eyes.
Be not wise in thine own eyes. Proverbs 3:7
Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!
- Don't brag.
Put not forth thyself in the presence of the king, and stand not in the place of great men.
Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a
stranger, and not thine own lips. Proverbs 27:1-2
- Don't be proud.
Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride ... And they were haughty.
- Don't think too much of yourself.
I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think;
but to think soberly. Romans 12:3
Be not wise in your own conceits. Romans 12:16
- Don't desire vainglory.
Let us not be desirous of vain glory. Galatians 5:26
Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory. Philippians 2:3
- If you promise to do something for a friend and then aren't able to do it, apologize immediately.
My son, if thou be surety for thy friend, if thou hast stricken thy hand with a stranger,
Thou art snared with the words of thy mouth, thou art taken with the words of thy mouth.
Do this now, my son, and deliver thyself, when thou art come into the hand of thy friend; go, humble thyself, and make sure thy friend.
Give not sleep to thine eyes, nor slumber to thine eyelids.
Deliver thyself as a roe from the hand of the hunter, and as a bird from the hand of the fowler.
- Don't forsake your friends or your father's friends.
Thine own friend, and thy father's friend, forsake not. Proverbs 27:10
Doctrines, Beliefs, and Apologetics
- Don't be tossed like a child by every wind of doctrine.
Be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine.
- Don't believe in things you haven't seen.
(Being vainly puffed up by your fleshly mind.)
Let no man beguile you of ... things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind.
- Prove all things.
Prove all things. 1 Thessalonians 5:21a
- Hold fast to that which is good.
Hold fast that which is good. 1 Thessalonians 5:21b
- Don't believe fables.
Neither give heed to fables. 1 Timothy 1:4a
Refuse profane and old wives' fables. 1 Timothy 4:7
Not giving heed to Jewish fables. Titus 1:14
- Don't believe in endless genealogies.
Neither give heed to ... endless genealogies. 1 Timothy 1:4b
Avoid ... genealogies. Titus 3:9
- Don't get carried away with strange doctrines.
Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. Hebrews 13:9
- Be ready to explain your beliefs to anyone who asks.
Be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear.
1 Peter 3:15
- Don't return runaway slaves to their masters.
Thou shalt not deliver unto his master the servant which is escaped from his master unto thee.
- N254: Don't hand over a fugitive bondman - Dt 23:16
- Let them live with you in peace and freedom.
He shall dwell with thee, even among you, in that place which he shall choose in one of thy gates, where it liketh him best:
thou shalt not oppress him. Deuteronomy 23:16
- N255: Don't wrong a fugitive bondman - Dt 23:17
- Remember those who are not free.
Remember them that are in bonds, as bound with them. Hebrews 13:3a
- Don't gossip.
Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people. Leviticus 19:16a
- N301: Don't bear tales - Lev 19:16
- Don't reveal secrets.
Discover not a secret to another. Proverbs 25:9
- Don't believe what hateful people say.
He that hateth dissembleth with his lips, and layeth up deceit within him; When he speaketh fair, believe him not: for there are seven abominations in his heart.
Whose hatred is covered by deceit. Proverbs 26:24-26
- Don't say, "Why were things better in the good old days?"
Say not thou, What is the cause that the former days were better than these? for thou dost not enquire wisely concerning this.
- Don't pay attention to everything people say.
Take no heed unto all words that are spoken. Ecclesiastes 7:21
- Don't say anything corrupt.
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth. Ephesians 4:29a
- Say good things instead.
[Say] that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Ephesians 4:29b
- Don't be clamorous and evil speaking.
Let all ... and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you.
- Mind your own business.
Do your own business. 1 Thessalonians 4:11
- Don't say bad things about anyone.
Speak evil of no man. Titus 3:2
Speak not evil one of another, brethren. James 4:11
- Be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath.
Be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath. James 1:19
- Bridle you tongue.
(Or your religion is in vain.)
If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's
religion is vain. James 1:26
For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile.
1 Peter 3:10
- Don't be a busybody.
Let none of you suffer ... as a busybody in other men's matters.
1 Peter 4:15
Anger, Revenge, Wrath, Bitterness, and Malice
- Don't seek revenge.
(At least not against the children of your people. Let God do it for you.)
Thou shalt not avenge ... against the children of thy people.
Avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written,
Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. Romans 12:19
- N304: Don't take vengeance on another - Lev 19:18
- Grudge not.
Thou shalt not ... bear any grudge against the children of thy people.
Grudge not one against another, brethren, lest ye be condemned. James 5:9
- N305: Don't bear a grudge. - Lev 19:18
- Don't be wrathful.
Forsake wrath. Psalm 37:8
Put off all these ... wrath.... Colossians 3:8
- Be children in malice.
Howbeit in malice be ye children. 1 Corinthians 14:20
- Don't let the sun go down on your wrath.
Let not the sun go down upon your wrath. Ephesians 4:26
Let all ... wrath ... be put away from you. Ephesians 4:31
- Don't be bitter.
Let all bitterness ... be put away from you. Ephesians 4:31a
- Have malice toward none.
Let all ... be put away from you, with all malice.
- If you find a lost item, return it to its owner.
Thou shalt not see thy brother's ox or his sheep go astray, and hide thyself from them: thou shalt in any case bring them again unto thy brother.
And if thy brother be not nigh unto thee, or if thou know him not, then thou shalt bring it unto thine own house, and it shall be with thee until thy brother
seek after it, and thou shalt restore it to him again.
In like manner shalt thou do with his ass; and so shalt thou do with his raiment; and with all lost thing of thy brother's, which he hath lost, and
thou hast found, shalt thou do likewise: thou mayest not hide thyself. Deuteronomy 22:1-3
- P204: Return lost property to its owner - Dt 22:1
- N269: Don't ignore lost property - Dt 22:3
- When building a roof, make sure it is safe.
When thou buildest a new house, then thou shalt make a battlement for thy roof, that thou bring not blood upon thine house,
if any man fall from thence. Deuteronomy 22:8
- P184: Remove sources of danger from your habitation - Dt 22:8
- N298: Don't leave obstacles on public or private domain - Dt 22:8
- Be brave.
Be of good courage. Psalm 31:24
- Don't rejoice when your enemy stumbles.
Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.
- Learn to do well.
Learn to do well. Isaiah 1:17a
- Return the collateral after a debt is paid.
If a man be just, and do that which is lawful and right, and ... hath restored to the debtor his pledge.
- Consider your ways.
Consider your ways. Haggai 1:7
- Be hospitable.
Be ... given to hospitality. Romans 12:10-13
Use hospitality one to another without grudging. 1 Peter 4:9
- Don't be slothful.
Not slothful in business. Romans 12:11
Be not slothful. Hebrews 6:12
- Don't envy.
Let us walk ... not in ... envying. Romans 13:13
Let us not be ... envying one another. Galatians 5:26
- If you are strong, bear the iniquities of the weak.
We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves.
- Do everything decently and in order.
Let all things be done decently and in order. 1 Corinthians 14:40
- Be strong.
Quit you like men, be strong. 1 Corinthians 16:13
- Bear one another's burdens.
Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
- Prove your own work.
Let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.
- Be kind to one another.
Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted. Ephesians 4:32
Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved ... kindness.
- Forbear one another.
Forbearing one another. Colossians 3:13
- Value others more than yourself.
In lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
- Think about things that are true, just, good, and beautiful.
Thatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure,
whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on
these things. Philippians 4:8
- Comfort the feeble-minded.
Comfort the feebleminded. 1 Thessalonians 5:14a
- Support the weak.
Support the weak. 1 Thessalonians 5:14b
- Be patient with everybody.
Be patient toward all men. 1 Thessalonians 5:14c
Follow after ... patience. 1 Timothy 6:11
Be ... patient. 2 Timothy 2:24
- Be gentle with everyone.
Be gentle unto all men. 2 Timothy 2:24
Be ... gentle. Titus 3:2
- Remember those who suffer adversity.
Remember ... them which suffer adversity. Hebrews 13:3
- Honor every human being.
(Well, the men, anyway.)
Honour all men. 1 Peter 2:17
- Have compassion on one another.
Having compassion one of another. 1 Peter 3:8a
- Be courteous.
Be courteous. 1 Peter 3:8b
Chapter 18: Fortune Cookie Commandments