Giants in the bible
- "There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the
daughters of men...." Genesis 6:4
This is one of the most interesting verses in the bible. Who were "the sons of God" who had sex with "the
daughters of men"? Jesus and his long-lost brothers? Sex-crazed angels from hell? The bible doesn't say, but whoever
they were, they seemed to have pissed off God. Because in the very next verse, he decides to kill every living thing
that he had made.
- "And there we saw the giants ... And we were in our own sight as grasshopper, and so we were in their sight."
These are the same giants (the Nephilium) mentioned in Genesis 6:4. Somehow they
managed to survive the flood, contrary to Genesis 7:21.
- "The Emims dwelt therein in times past, a people great, and many, and tall, as the Anakims; Which also were accounted
giants...." Deuteronomy 2:10-11
- That also was accounted a land of giants: giants dwelt therein in old time; and the Ammonites call
them Zamzummims; A people great, and many, and tall, as the Anakims; but the LORD destroyed them.
- For only Og king of Bashan remained of the remnant of giants; behold his bedstead was a bedstead of
iron; is it not in Rabbath of the children of Ammon? nine cubits was the length thereof, and four
breadth of it. Deuteronomy 3:11
Og's bed was nine cubits long -- large enough for a 4 meter-long giant.
- "And the coast of Og king of Bashan, which as of the remnant of the giants ..."
Joshua 12:4, 18:16
- "Goliath, of Gath, whose height was six cubits and a span." (10 ft, 3 m)
1 Samuel 17:4
- Among those killed by the "mighty man", Benaiah, was an Egyptian "five
cubits high" (7.5 ft, 2.3 m).
1 Chronicles 11:23
- God destroyed the Amorites who were a race of gaints as tall
as cedars and as strong as oaks. Amos 2:9
(A cubit is about 18 inches in length; a span is about 9 inches)
See Bible weights and measures