"Yet will I slay even the beloved fruit of their womb."
- Hosea 9:16
Hosea for Skeptics
Hosea is a book filled with whoredoms, children of whoredoms, adulteries
between breasts, buying wives with barley, ripping pregnant women apart, and killing unborn babies.
What will surprise most believers is that it is God who does the ripping and killing and who tells
Hosea to buy a wife and marry a whore. Biblical family values at its best.
Here are the highlights:
- God told Hosea to commit adultery, saying "take ... a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms" because
the land has "committed great whoredom." So Hosea did as God commanded and "took" a wife named Gomer. 1:2-3
- He told Hosea to name his baby girl "Loruhamah," which means unloved. 1:6
- Hosea tells his children that their mother is a whore who is not his wife.
He asks them to tell their mother to "put away her whoredoms" and "her adulteries
from between her breasts" or he'll "strip her naked ... and slay her with thirst." 2:2-3
- God will not have mercy upon children if they are the children of whoredoms. 2:4-5
- "Now will I discover her lewdness in the sight of her lovers, and none shall deliver her out of mine hand." 2:10
- God tells Hosea to love an adulteress. So Hosea buys (another?) wife for a homer and a half of barley. 3:1-2
- Committing whoredom by going a whoring with the spirit of whoredom. 4:10-12, 5:3-4
- ;If you misbehave, God will make your daughters "commit
whoredom" and your wife "commit adultery." 4:13
- Even more whoredom! "They have committed whoredom continually." 4:14-18
- More lewdness and whoredom. 6:9-10
- "I will send a fire upon his cities." 8:14
- "Thou hast gone a whoring from thy God, thou hast loved a reward upon every cornfloor." 9:1
- "The prophet is a fool, the spiritual man is mad." 9:7
- "Though they bring up their children, yet will I bereave them." 9:12
- "O Lord: what wilt thou give? give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts." 9:14
- "Yea, though they bring forth, yet will I slay even the beloved fruit of their womb." 9:16
- God will punish Israel by "dashing" together mothers and their children. 10:14
- "The LORD ... shall roar like a lion." 11:10
- God will rip humans apart and eat them like a lion. 13:7-8
- "Their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up." 13:16