SAB: Deuteronomy search
Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
- Don't covet your neighbor's wife or ass -- or any thing that belongs to your neighbor. You see, in the
eyes of God, women are the possessions of men. 5:21
- Three times a year all of the males are to appear before God. The females he never wants to see.
- In the cities that god "delivers into thine hands" you must kill all the males (including old men, boys, and babies) with
"the edge of the sword .... But the women ... shalt thou take unto yourself."
- If you see a pretty woman among the captives and would like her for a wife, then just bring her home and "go in
unto her." Later, if you decide you don't like her, you can "let her go." 21:11-14
- Rules for those who have two wives: "one beloved, and another hated." 21:15
- When a man dies, his sons inherit his property. Wives and daughters get nothing at all.
- Women are not to wear men's clothing and vice versa -- it's an "abomination unto the Lord." 22:5
- If a man marries, then decides that he hates his wife, he can claim she wasn't a virgin when they were married. If
her father can't produce the "tokens of her virginity" (bloody sheets), then the woman is to be stoned to death at her father's
- "If a man be found lying with a woman married to a husband, then they shall both of them die."
- If a betrothed virgin is raped in the city and doesn't cry out loud enough, then "the men of the city shall stone her to
- If a woman is raped in the country, then only the man shall die (since there was no one
to hear her if she cried out.) 22:25
- If a man rapes an unbetrothed virgin, he must pay her father 50 shekels of silver and then marry her.
- God says not to bring any whore, sodomite, or dog into the house of the Lord. For "these things are an abomination
to the Lord." Sodomites and dogs are biblical names for homosexuals. 23:17-18
- If a man marries a woman and later finds "some uncleanness in her," then he can divorce her and kick her out of his
house. If another man marries her and then dies, the first husband cannot marry her again. "For that is an abomination before
the Lord." 24:1-4
- If a man dies without having a child, his brother shall "go in unto" his dead brother's wife -- whether she likes him or
not, and whether she wants to or not. If he refuses, the dead
man's wife is to loosen his shoe and spit in his face. 25:5-10
- If two men fight and the wife of one grabs the "secrets" of the other, "then thou shalt cut off her hand" and "thine eye
shall not pity her." 25:11-12
- "Cursed be he that lieth with his
father's wife, because he uncovereth his father's skirt." How does
having sex with the father's wife uncover the father's skirt? Well, I guess it's
because the father owns his wife. The offense is against him, not her. 27:20
- "The tender and delicate woman"
will be forced to eat her own children "that cometh out from between her feet."