Jeremiah: Science and History
- "The showers have been withholden, and there hath been no latter rain."
Droughts are punishments from God. 3:3
- "The Lord ... placed the sand for the bound of the sea by a perpetual decree, that it
cannot pass it: and though the waves thereof toss themselves, yet can they
not prevail; though they roar, yet can they not pass over it."
Tell that the families of the 230,000 victims of the
2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. 5:22
- "The stork in the heaven knoweth her appointed times; and the turtle [dove] and the crane and the swallow observe the time of their coming."
One of the earliest references to bird migration.
(Many stork, dove, crane, and swallow species are migratory.) 8:7
- "I will send serpents,cockatrices among you, which will not be charmed, and they shall bite you."
A cockatrice is a serpent, hatched from a cock's egg, that can kill with a glance. They are rare nowadays. 8:17
- God will make Jerusalem an uninhabited "den of dragons." 9:11
- When God gets angry, the earth trembles. (That's what causes earthquakes.)
- Judah will become a desolate den of dragons. 10:22
- "O LORD of hosts ... that triest the reins [kidneys] and the heart." 11:20
- The wild asses "snuffed up the wind like dragons." 14:6
- "I try the reins [kidneys]." 17:10
- "O LORD of hosts, that ... seest the reins [kidneys]." 20:12
- The earth is set on foundations and does not move. 31:37
- Jeremiah predicts that humans will never again live in Hazor, but will be replaced by dragons.
But people still live there and dragons have never been seen. 49:33
- "Nebuchadrezzar ... hath swallowed me up like a dragon." 51:34
- "Babylon shall become heaps, a dwellingplace for dragons, an astonishment, and an
hissing, without an inhabitant. They shall roar together like lions: they shall yell as lions' whelps." 51:37
- "The sea is come up upon Babylon: she is covered with the multitude of the
waves thereof." 51:42
- "I will make drunk her princes, and her wise men, her captains, and her
rulers, and her mighty men: and they shall sleep a perpetual sleep, and not
wake, saith the King, whose name is the LORD of hosts."
God will force the Babylonians to get so drunk that they die from alcohol poisoning. 51:57