If one bear holy flesh
in the skirt of his garment, and with his skirt do touch bread, or pottage,
or wine, or oil, or any meat, shall it be holy?.
- Haggai 2:12
Haggai for Skeptics
The God of Haggai is an active God. He blows houses down, sends drought and hail, shakes heaven
and earth, sea and dry land. Yet for some reason the Israelites still didn't like him too much. Weird, eh?
Here are the highlights.
- God huffs, and he puffs, and he blows the house down! 1:9
- After God blew the houses down, the Israelites repaired their own houses while ignoring the
temple. So God sent a drought to punish them. 1:9-11
- In "a little while" God "will shake the heavens, and the earth, and the sea, and the dry land." 2:6
- "The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the LORD of hosts." 2:8
- Be careful not to let any holy flesh touch any food or wine, because if you do your flesh won't be holy any more.
- God sent blight and hail upon the Israelites, yet they still didn't return to him. 2:17
- God will make the horses and their riders be killed by "the sword of his brother." 2:22