- Numbers 6:3
- He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no
vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any
liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.
- Judges 13:4
- Drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing.
- Proverbs 20:1
- Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is
deceived thereby is not wise.
- Proverbs 23:20-21, 29-30, 31-32
- Be not among winebibbers.... For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty. (vv.20-21)
Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling?
who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes? They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to
seek mixed wine. (vv.29-30)
Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in
the cup, when it moveth itself aright. At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder. (vv.31-32)
- Isaiah 5:11, 22
- Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow
strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them! (v.11)
Woe unto them that are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle
strong drink. (v.22)
- Isaiah 28:1, 7
- Woe ... to the drunkards ... that are overcome with wine! (v.1)
But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of
the way; the priest and
the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine,
they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they
stumble in judgment. (v.7)
- Jeremiah 35:14
- Jonadab ... commanded his sons not to drink wine ... unto this day they drink none, but obey their father's commandment.
- Daniel 1:8
- But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile
himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine
which he drank.
- Habakkuk 2:15
- Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken.
- Luke 1:15
- For he [John the Baptist] shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink.
- Romans 13:13
- Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness.
- Romans 14:21
- It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother
stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
- Galatians 5:21
- Drunkenness ... and such like ... they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
- "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess."
- Genesis 27:28
- God give thee of the dew of heaven, and the fatness of the
earth, and plenty of corn and wine.
- Judges 9:13
- Wine, which cheereth God and man.
- Psalms 104:15
- Wine that maketh glad the heart of man.
- Proverbs 31:6-9
- Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine
unto those that be of heavy hearts. Let him drink, and forget his
poverty, and remember his misery no more.
- Ecclesiastes 9:7
- Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart.
- Song of Solomon 5:1
- I have drunk my wine.... O friends; drink, yea, drink abundantly.
- Zechariah 9:17
- How great is his goodness ... corn shall make the young men cheerful, and new wine for the maids.
- Matthew 26:29
- I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine,
until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.
- John 2:3-10
- And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him,
They have no wine. ... His mother saith unto the servants,
Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it. ... Jesus saith unto them, Fill
the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim. And he
saith unto them, Draw out now, and bear unto the governor of the
feast. And they bare it. When the ruler of the feast had tasted the
water that was made wine ... the governor of the feast called
the bridegroom, And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth
set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is
worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.
- 1 Timothy 5:23
- Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's