Luke: Good Stuff
- The people asked John the Baptist what they need to do to avoid hell. He told them to give their excess
food and clothes to the poor. 3:10-11
- Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely. 3:14
- Love you enemies; do good to those who hate you. 6:27
- The Golden Rule: Treat others as you would like to be treated. 6:31-34
- "Love your enemies." Well, it's a nice thought. But it seems strange coming from someone who damns his
enemies to hell. (Mark 16:16) 6:35
- "Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful." Well I'm glad Jesus thinks we should be merciful.
But the Old Testament God is a strange role model for mercy! (See 1 Sam 15:2-3 for an
example of the OT God's mercy.) 6:36
- "Judge not ... condemn not ... forgive." 6:37
- Love thy neighbor as thyself. 10:27
- The story of the good Samaritan gets my vote for the best bible story. We should all "go and do likewise."
- "Render therefore unto Caesar the things which be Caesar's, and unto God the things which be God's."
Pay your taxes. Keep state and church separate. 20:25
- From his comments on the widow's mites, it appears that Jesus favored progressive taxation. 21:1-3