Science and History
Cruelty and Violence
- "The Lord gave Jehoiakim king of Judah into his [Nebuchadnezzar's] hand." 1:2
- "He removeth kings, and setteth up kings."
Monarchy is God's preferred form of government. God chooses the kings and then removes them when he feels like it. 2:21
- And it all happened just like Daniel said it would. Nebuchadnezzar lived with the animals and ate grass like an ox. His hair was like
eagles' feathers and his nails like birds' claws. 4:28-33
- After going through a rather bizarre ordeal, inflicted upon him by God, Nebuchadnezzar heaps praise upon God -- in whose eyes
"all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing." 4:34-37
- After Daniel gave Belshazzar the bad news, Belshazzar rewarded him by making him the "third ruler in the kindgdom." Later that night
Belshazzar died. (Did God kill him?) 5:29-30
- King Darius, after trying to feed Daniel to the lions, orders those who accused Daniel (and their wives and children) to be cast into the lion den. "And the lions ... brake all their bones in pieces."