- "Who is the image of the invisible God"
What would an image of an invisible God look like? The invisible and the non-existent very much alike. 1:15
- "The gospel ... was preached to every creature under heaven." 1:23
- "Rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh."
The suffering Jesus was not sufficient to satisfy God's wrath, so Paul (or whoever wrote Colossians) had to make up for
what was lacking with his own sufferings. 1:24
- "Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy." 2:8
- "Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal."
A slave owner that did this would set his slaves free. 4:1