1 Timothy: Interpretation
- Although First Timothy claims to have been written by Paul,
many scholars believe that it was written after his death. 1:1
- Is Jesus God? 2:5, 3:16
- Should women have the same rights as men? 2:11-15
- Is polygamy OK? 3:2
- "God was manifest in the flesh."
This verse has been used to support the idea that Jesus is God, but the best and earliest manuscripts say Christ "who was
made manifest in the flesh," not "God was made manifest in the flesh." 3:16
- "The living God" is the saviour of "all men" -- especially (but not exclusively) of those that believe. So
even nonbelievers will be saved. 4:10
- Jehovah's Witnesses use this verse (along with Dt 19:15) to justify their refusal to report or investigate incidents
of child molestation unless two or three JWs have witnessed the event. If witnesses do not come forward (and they
are discouraged from doing so since it would embarrass the organization), then the victim is told to be quiet about it.
- Is it OK to drink alcohol? 5:23
- Does the bible condemn gambling? 6:10