Cruelty and Violence
"These filthy dreamers defile the flesh." -- Jude 8
Jude for Skeptics
The author claims to be "Jude, the brother of James," which, if true (which it wasn't,
of course), would make him the brother of Jesus, too, since "the Lord's brother" (Gal.1:19) was the most
famous James among believers at the time.
No one knows who wrote this epistle, but whoever it was liked to call people names. Ungodly men ordained to condemnation, filthy dreamers, defilers of the flesh, ungodly sinners, murmurers, complainers, mockers walking in their own
ungodly lusts -- all in just 25 verses!
Here are some highlights:
- God pre-ordained that certain "ungodly" men would deny Jesus. 4
- "The Lord ... destroyed them that believed not." 5
- "The angels which kept not their first estate"
The angels that Jude refers to here are the "sons of God" that had sex with human females
to produce a race of giants. 6
- God sent "eternal fire" on the people of Sodom and Gomorrah for "going after strange flesh."
- Michael the Archangel argued with the devil about the body of Moses. 9
- Enoch, "the seventh from Adam", prophesied that God would come with 10,000 of his saints "to execute judgment upon all."
- "To convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard
speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken." 15
- "Remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles ... that they told you there should be mockers in the last time."
(The author of Jude thought he was living in "the last time.") 17-18