Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
- Does the bible condemn astrology? 5:20
- Is polygamy OK? 8:30
- Is it OK to drink alcohol? 9:13
- "His daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances."
Is dancing a sin? 11:34
- "Drink not wine nor strong drink."
Is it OK to drink alcohol? 13:4
- "Samson visited his wife with a kid."
The New Oxford Annotated Bible says that a young goat was "the usual gift for sexual intercourse."
OK, that may have been true for prostitutes, but did you have to give your wife a goat every time you
had sex? 15:1
- "An ephod, and teraphim"
"One may guess that the teraphim is what the ephod covers. At any rate the teraphim may be supposed to have something of a
phallic shape since it serves to substitute more or less convincingly for the body of a man (when covered)." Jennings, T. W., Jr.,
Jacob's Wound: Homoerotic Narrative in the Literature of Ancient Israel, n. 11, p. 46
17:5, 18:14, 18:17, 18:20
- The LORD is your way wherein ye go." 18:6
- "God has given it into your hands." 18:10
- "The children of Dan ... came unto Laish, unto a people that were at quiet and secure: and they smote them with the edge of the sword, and burnt the city with fire."
Did God approve of the Danite slaughter of the quiet and unsuspecting people of Laish? (See verses 6 and 10.)