Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
- "They slew the Canaanites that inhabited Zephath, and utterly destroyed it ... And the Lord was with Judah."
(You can tell by the number of innocent people he killed.) 1:17, 19
- The Israelite spies killed everyone in Bethel, except for the man (and his family) who
showed them how to enter the city. 1:25
- An angel drops by to rebuke the Israelites for being too tolerant of the religious
beliefs of the people they have been massacring. He tells them that since they didn't complete their
job (of killing everyone), God will not completely drive them out (like he promised to do). Instead
he'll keep some of them around so that the Israelites will be ensnared by their false gods.
- God gets angry when the Israelites reject him and decide to worship other Gods. 2:12
- God "delivers" more folks into the hands of his chosen people. "And they slew of Moab ... about 10,000 men
... and their escaped not a man." 3:28-29
- Shamgar kills 600 Philistines with an ox goad. Praise God. 3:31
- "The Lord discomfited Sisera ... with the edge of the sword ... and there was not a man left."
- "So let all thine enemies perish, O Lord." (Let them all have their temples pierced by blessed women.)
- "The LORD said unto him, Surely I will be with thee, and thou shalt smite the Midianites as one man."
God promises to help Gideon kill all the Midianites. 6:16
- "The LORD said unto him ... throw down the altar of Baal ... and cut down the grove."
God tells Gideon to vandalize his neighbors' places of worship. 6:25
- "The altar of Baal was cast down, and the grove was cut down." 6:28
- Two princes are killed and their heads are brought to Gideon. 7:25
- For refusing to feed him and his army, Gideon swears that he'll tear the flesh off the elders of Succoth.
(And he carries out his threat in verse 16.) 8:7
- "He took the elders of the city, and thorns of the wilderness and briers, and with them he taught the men of Succoth."
- "He beat down the tower of Penuel, and slew the men of the city." 8:17
- "As soon as Gideon was dead ... the children of Israel ... went a whoring after Baalim."
- "God ... delivered Sihon and all his people into the hand of Israel, and they smote them: so Israel possessed all the land of the Amorites."
- "Whomsoever the LORD our God shall drive out from before us, them will we [the Israelites]
- "The LORD delivered them into his hands ... And he smote them ... even twenty cities ... with a very great slaughter."
- "The children of Israel did evil again in the sight of the LORD;
and the LORD delivered them into the hand of the Philistines forty years." 13:1
- Samson, with God's help, kills himself and 3000 Philistine men and women by causing a roof to collapse,
setting an example for Bible-based terrorism. 16:27-30