SAB: Deuteronomy search
Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
- If you see a pretty woman among the captives and would like her for a wife, then just bring her home and "go in
unto her." Later, if you decide you don't like her, you can "let her go." 21:11-14
- If a man marries, then decides that he hates his wife, he can claim she wasn't a virgin when they were married. If
her father can't produce the "tokens of her virginity" (bloody sheets), then the woman is to be stoned to death at her father's
- "If a man be found lying with a woman married to a husband, then they shall both of them die."
- If a betrothed virgin is raped in the city and doesn't cry out loud enough, then "the men of the city shall stone her to
- If a woman is raped in the country, then only the man shall die (since there was no one
to hear her if she cried out.) 22:25
- If a man rapes an unbetrothed virgin, he must pay her father 50 shekels of silver and then marry her.
- "A man shall not take his father's wife, nor discover his father's skirt." 22:30
- You can't go to church if your testicles are damaged or your penis has been cut off.
- God lays down the law regarding wet dreams. "If there be among you any man that is not clean by reason of
uncleanness that chanceth him by night ..." 23:10
- If a man dies without having a child, his brother shall "go in unto" his dead brother's wife -- whether she likes him or
not, and whether she wants to or not. If he refuses, the dead
man's wife is to loosen his shoe and spit in his face. 25:5-10
- If two men fight and the wife of one grabs the "secrets" of the other, "then thou shalt cut off her hand" and "thine eye
shall not pity her." 25:11-12
- "Cursed be he that lieth with his father's wife, because he uncovereth his father's skirt." (Why?)
- "Cursed be he that lieth with any manner of beast: and all the people shall say, Amen."
- "Cursed be he that lieth with his sister ... And all the people shall say, Amen."
- "Cursed be he that lieth with his mother in law: and all the people shall say, Amen."
- "Thou shalt betroth a wife, and another man shall lie with her." 28:30