Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
Deuteronomy: Good Stuff
- Judge others fairly, Israelite and stranger, rich or poor, powerful or weak. 1:16-17
- "Honor thy father and thy mother." 5:16
- "Thou shalt not kill." 5:17
- Don't commit adultery. 5:18
- Don't steal. 5:19
- Don't lie. 5:20
- "Love ye therefore the stranger: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt." 10:19
- Help the poor. 15:7-8
- "Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother, to thy poor, and to thy needy."
- Judges and officers should strive to be impartial and should never take a bribe. 16:18-19
If a person kills someone unintentionally then he or she can flee to a city of refuge to
escape being killed by the "revenger of blood."
I guess this is (sort of) good--about as good as it gets in the Bible anyway. But it would be better to declare such a person innocent, assuming no
criminal negligence involved, rather than creating a city for the person to flee to. And the idea of a "revenger of blood" is just plain creepy.
- Look out for your neighbor's animals and protect them from harm. 22:1-4
- Be careful when making a roof to ensure that no one falls off the edge. 22:8
- Don't return runaway slaves to their masters. Let them live with you in peace and freedom.
- Do not oppress the poor, whether they be slaves, neighbors, or strangers.
- "It shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow."
Be kind to widows, orphans, fatherless children and strangers. Share whatever you have with them.
- "Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn." Let the animal eat while it works.
- "Thou shalt have a perfect and just weight."
Be honest when you deal with others. Don't cheat. 25:13-15
- Take care of those who need help. 26:12-13
- Don't misguide the blind or mistreat strangers, orphans, or widows.
(And all the people shall say, Amen.) 26:18-19