- Exodus 1:18-20
- And the king of Egypt called for the midwives, and said unto
them, Why have ye done this thing, and have saved the men-children
alive? And the midwives said unto Pharaoh, Because the Hebrew women
are not as the Egyptian women; for they are lively, and are delivered
ere the midwives come in unto them. Therefore God dealt well with the
- Joshua 2:4-6
- And the woman [Rahab] took the two men and hid them and said
thus: There came men unto me, but I wist not whence they were; and it
came to pass about the time of shutting of the gate, when it was dark
that the men went out; whither the men went I wot not; pursue
after them quickly, for ye shall overtake them. But she had brought
them up to the roof of the house and hid them with the stalks of
- 1 Samuel 21:2
- David said unto Ahimelech the priest, The king hath commanded me a
business.... (But David was an enemy of King Saul, and was not on the king's business. We know that God approved of this lie, since
1 Kings 15:5 says that God approved of everything David did, with the single exception of the matter of Uriah.)
- 1 Kings 22:21-22
- And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the Lord, and
said, I will persuade him ... I will go forth and be a lying spirit
in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade
him and prevail also; go forth and do so.
- 2 Kings 8:10
- And Elisha said unto him, go, say unto him, Thou mayest
certainly recover: howbeit the Lord hath showed me that he shall
- John 7:8-10
- [Jesus said] Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast. ...
But when his brethren were gone up, then went he also up unto the feast, not openly, but as it were in secret.
- James 2:25
- Was not Rahab, the harlot, justified by works, when she
had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?.
- Tobit 5:17-18
- Raphael the angel answered ... I am Azarias.
- Exodus 20:16
- Thou shalt not bear false witness.
- Exodus 23:1-7
- Thou shalt not raise a false report. (v.1)
- Keep thee far from a false matter. (v.7)
- Leviticus 6:2-4
- If a soul ... lie unto his neighbour ... or hath deceived his neighbour ... Or have
found that which was lost, and lieth concerning it, and sweareth falsely. ... Then ...
he shall restore that which he took.
- Leviticus 19:11
- Neither lie one to another.
- Deuteronomy 5:20
- Neither shalt thou bear false witness.
- Proverbs 12:22
- Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord.
- Proverbs 13:5
- A righteous man hateth lying.
- Proverbs 24:28
- Be not a witness against thy neighbour
without cause; and deceive not with thy lips.
- Luke 3:14
- Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely.
- Ephesians 4:25
- Wherefore putting away lying, speaking every man truth with his neighbor.
- Colossians 3:9
- Lie not one to another.
- James 3:14
- Lie not against the truth.
- Revelation 21:8-27
- All liars shall have their part in the lake which
burneth with fire and brimstone. (v.8)
And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination,
or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life. (v.27)