1 Kings: Intolerance
- "The LORD said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall not go in to them, neither shall they come in unto you:
for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods."
Note that Solomon is told to stay away from foreign women. Why? Because they have different ("strange")
religious beliefs, and God disapproves of mixed-faith marriages. 11:2
- His wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God."
The wisest man that ever lived (1 Kings 4:31) was misled by his wives into worshipping other gods.
- "For the LORD shall smite Israel ... because they have made their groves, provoking the LORD to anger."
- "When she came to the threshold of the door, the child died."
To punish Jeroboam for making gold calves, God killed his son. 14:17
- "There were also sodomites in the land: and they did according to all the abominations...."
God shows his homophobia by calling gay people "sodomites" and their sexual relations "abominations." 14:24
- Asa "did that which was right in the eyes of the LORD" by expelling homosexuals (or "sodomites", as the
good book calls them). 15:12
- Baasha kills "all of the house of Jeroboam" leaving none "to breath." This slaughter was done "according to the
word of the Lord." 15:29
- Elijah kills 450 prophets of Baal. 18:22, 40
- "Ben-hadad said unto him, The cities, which my father took from thy
father, I will restore ... Then said Ahab, I will send thee away with this
covenant. So he made a covenant with him, and sent him away."
King Ahab is merciful to king Beh-hada. God will later kill him for it. (See 1 Kings 20:42 and
- Thus saith the LORD, Because thou hast let go out of thy hand a man whom I appointed to utter destruction,
therefore thy life shall go for his life, and thy people for his people."
The prophet tells king Ahab that he will be killed and his people punished for not killing Ben-hadad:
"Your life shall go for his life, and your people for his people." 20:42
- Naboth is stoned to death for blaspheming god and the king. 21:13
- Jehoshaphat "did that which was right in the eyes of the Lord" and "took" the homosexuals (sodomites) "out
of the land," or as the RSV says, "he exterminated" them. 22:43, 46