Science and History
-In the Bible
-In the Book of Mormon
-SAQ DB Forum
Science and History in the Quran
- God created a man first, then a woman from the man, and all humans descended from them.. 4:1
- The Quran repeats the silly story about Cain and Abel (though they are unnamed in the Quran). 5:27-31
- Homosexual acts are condemned as unnatural. (Will ye commit abomination such as no
creature ever did before you?) But, in fact, such acts are common in many other species. 7:80-81
- Crucifixion is a Roman punishment, unknown in Egypt at the time this story supposedly occurred. 7:124
- When Allah revealed himself to Moses, the mountain (Mt. Sinai?) came crashing down. 7:143
- Humans created from a single man. 7:189
- "They fold up their breasts that they may hide (their thoughts) from Him."
Allah thinks (in his heart) that humans have their brains in their breasts. 11:5
- Joseph saw in a dream eleven planets. Does this mean that according to the
Quran there are eleven planets in our solar system? 12:4
- "The sun ... runneth unto an appointed term."
The sun (according to the Quran) orbits the earth. 13:2
- "He ... spread out the earth."
Sounds like a flat earth to me. 13:3
- "And the earth have We spread out."
The earth is flat according to the Quran. 15:19
- "And thy Lord inspired the bee, saying ... eat of all fruits."
Allah told bees to eat from all fruits, but decided to eat nectar and pollen instead.
- The sun rises and sets at particular places on a flat earth. At the westernmost point on earth, the
sun sets in a muddy spring. 18:86, 90
- Most scholars consider Dhu'l-Qarneyn ("The Two-Horned Lord") to be Alexander the Great, who is here presented as a devout
- The Pharaoh threatens to crucify Hebrews on palm tress. (But crucifixion was a
Roman form of punishment that was unknown at the time.) 20:71
- The sun "floats" in an orbit around the earth. 21:33
- The heavens and the earth were of one piece, then We parted them."
The sun, stars, and earth were joined together until Allah separated them (about six thousand years ago).
- Fear your Lord. Lo! the earthquake of the Hour (of Doom)."
Earquakes are sent by Allah to terrorize and kill people. 22:1
- "O mankind! if ye are in doubt concerning the Resurrection, then lo! We have created you from dust,
then from a drop of seed, then from a clot, then from a little lump of flesh shapely and shapeless, that We may make (it) clear for you."
Oh thanks, Allah. That clears everything up! 22:5
- Allah created all animals. Some with no legs, some with two, and some with
four. (Most animals have six legs. Did Allah forget about the insects?) 24:45
- "He sendeth down from the heaven mountains wherein is hail."
Hail comes from mountains. 24:43
- The earth is fixed and does not move. 27:61
- "He hath subdued the sun and moon to service. Each runneth unto an appointed term."
The sun orbits the earth. 35:13
- "The sun runneth on unto a resting-place for him." 36:38
- "For the moon We have appointed mansions till she return like an old shrivelled palm-leaf." 36:38
- "It is not for the sun to overtake the moon, nor doth the night outstrip the day.
They float each in an orbit."
This verse seems to say that the sun and the earth travel around the earth in the same orbit, with the sun in following
the moon, which it never overtakes. 36:40
- Jonah was swallowed by a fish. 37:142
- "We decked the nether heaven with lamps."
Allah put "lamps" in the lower heaven to serve as lights. These are the stars that we see in the sky
at night. 41:12
- "And the earth have We spread out."
The earth is flat according to the Quran. 50:7
- "And the earth have We laid out, how gracious is the Spreader (thereof)!"
The earth is flat according to the Quran. 51:48
- All things We have created by pairs."
This is not true. Many bacteria, protists, fungi, and plants reproduce asexually. 51:49
- "The moon was rent in twain."
Muhammaed split the moon into two pieces. Beat that one, Jesus! 54:1-2
- "Allah it is who hath created seven heavens, and of the earth the like thereof."
The "seven heavens" refer to the sun, moon, and five planets that were known at the time of Muhammad (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and
Saturn). The earth was flat and the "seven "heavens" revolved around it.
- "Who hath created seven heavens ... Canst thou see any rifts?"
Allah asks Muhammed to examine the sky to see if it has any cracks. 67:3
- Allah made the stars as missiles to throw at devils. 67:5
- At the end of the world the earth with the mountains will be lifted
up and crushed with one crash. 69:14
- "And hath made the moon a light"
This verse implies that the moon produces its own light, rather than reflecting light from the sun.
- "Have We not made the earth an expanse, And the high hills bulwarks?"
The earth is flat according to the Quran. 78:6-7
- "He spread the earth."
The earth is flat according to the Quran. 79:30
- Someday the stars will fall. 81:2
- "He is created from a gushing fluid that issued from between the loins and ribs."
Semen, according to the Quran, is formed not in the testicles, but somewhere "between the loins and ribs." 86:5-7
- "He is created from a gushing fluid."
Humans are not created from semen, but from fertilized eggs. 86:6
- "And the earth, how it is spread ?"
The earth is flat according to the Quran. 88:20
- The sun ... and the moon when she followeth him."
The moon orbits the earth; it doesn't "follow the sun." 91:1-2
- "The earth and Him Who spread it."
The earth is flat according to the Quran. 91:6
- Thy Lord ... createth man from a clot."
Humans were created from a clot? 96:1-2
- If he denieth (Allah's guidance) ... We will seize him by the forelock - The lying, sinful forelock."
Some Muslims say that when Allah talks about the "forelock" here, he is acutally referring to the prefrontal cortex,
which, as modern science has recently found out, is the place where all that lying and sinful stuff happens. It's just one of the many
scientific miracles in the Quran. 96:13-16
- "When Earth is shaken with her (final) earthquake"
At the end of the world, Allah will cause a massive earthquake and then send everyone to heaven or hell. 99:1
- Allah dealt with the owners of the elephant by sending swarms of "flying creatures". 105:1-3