-In the Bible
-In the Book of Mormon
Dwindling in Unbelief
-Which has more good
stuff, the Bible or the Quran?
-The Good Stuff in the Quran: A summary
Get the SAB
(and the SAQ)
Good Stuff in the Quran
Don't confuse truth with falsehood or knowingly conceal the truth. 2:42
- Pay the poor-due. 2:43, 110,
- Be good to parents, relatives, orphans, and the needy. Speak kindly and pay the poor-due. 2:83
- If you believe it, prove it. (A good rule, but does it apply to Muslims, too?) 2:111
- The Jews say the Christians are wrong, and vice versa. Yet they both believe in the Scriptures.
- Give of your wealth to family, relatives, and the needy. Set slaves free. 2:177
- Do not fight wars of aggression. (Does this apply only during Ramadan?) 2:190
- "Do good." 2:195
- Spend your money for good: to help your parents, your family, orphans, wayfarers, and the needy.
- Help orphans. 2:220
- "Make not Allah, by your oaths, a hindrance to ... making peace among mankind." 2:224
- "There is no compulsion in religion." (But see the next verse which says that disbelievers will
burn forever in Hell.) 2:256
- "If the debtor is in straitened circumstances, then (let there be) postponement to (the time of) ease." 2:280
- Don't argue about things that you know nothing about. 3:66
- Do not be guilty of usury, doubling and quadrpling the sum lent.
- I suffer not the work of any worker, male or female, to be lost. Ye proceed one
from another. 3:195
- Help orphans and don't steal from them. 4:2, 4:10
- Men and women proceed from one another. 4:25
- "Kill not one another." 4:29
- Be kind to parents, relatives, orphans, the needy, neighbors, and
- Whoever participates in a good cause, will be rewarded.
Whoever participates in an evil cause, will bear the consequences thereof. (It's not true, but it's a nice thought.)
- If someone says Hi to you say Hi (or Howdy) back to them. 4:86
- It is good to help the poor and make peace. 4:114
- Value justice, for both poor and rich, even when it adversely
affects you or your family's interests. 4:135
- Don't lend money at unfairly high rates of interest. 4:161
- "O People of the Scripture! Do not exaggerate in your religion."
Other translations render this "O people of the Book, do not be fanatical in your faith." (Amen to that!) 4:171
- Don't hate other people. Treat everyone fairly. 5:8
- Whoever kills a human being, it is as if he had killed all mankind. Whoever saves
the life of one, it is as if he had saved the life of all.
(But see the next verse which says that
the enemies of Allah and Muhammad will be killed, crucified, have their hands and feet cut off, or
expelled. And after they die they will face "an awful doom.") 5:32
- Pay the poor-due. 5:55
- Feed and clothe the needy. Set a slave free. 5:89
- Do good to parents, don't kill your children or other living things unnecessarily. 6:151
- Don't steal from orphans. Don't cheat or lie. 6:152
- Pay the poor-due. 7:156
- Be kind and forgiving toward others. 7:199
- And if they incline to peace, incline thou also to it. 8:61
- Pay the poor-due, but only if they are Muslims. [Never help a non-Muslim. (See 28:86)]
- Alms are for the poor and needy, to free captives and debtors, and to help
wayfarers. But not for non-Muslims. [Never help a non-Muslim. (See 28:86)]
- Men and women are protecting friends of one another. They enjoin the
right and forbid the wrong, and pay the poor-due. 9:71
- "We see thee [Noah] but a mortal like us, and we see not that any follow thee save
the most abject among us, without reflection. We behold in you no merit above us - nay, we deem you liars." 11:27
- "Do not evil in the earth."
Treat people fairly, respect their possessions, and avoid evil. 11:85
- Be kind to your relatives. 16:90
- Be kind to your parents. Treat them with respect in their old age.
- Help your family, the needy, and wayfarer. Don't selfishly squander your wealth.
- Don't kill your children to avoid falling into poverty. 17:31
- Don't steal from orphans. 17:34
- Don't follow what you don't know. 17:36
- "Speak that which is kindlier." 17:53
- "Increase me in knowledge." 20:114
- Feed the poor and unfortunate. 22:28
- Don't lie. 22:30
- Be kind to others, forbid injustice, and pay the poor-due. 22:41
- Pay the poor-due. 22:78
- Pay the poor-due. 23:4
- Repel evil with that which is better. 23:96
- Pay the poor-due. 24:37, 24:56
- "And such of your slaves as seek a writing (of emancipation), write it for them if ye are aware of aught of good in them, and bestow
upon them of the wealth of Allah which He hath bestowed upon you. Force not your slave-girls to whoredom."
Well, I guess this is about as good as it gets in the Quran. Allah encourages you to set your slaves free if they are good enough.
And don't pimp out your slave-girls (concubines). 24:33
- Repel evil with good. 28:54
- Be kind to your parents. 29:8
- Men and women should help each other with love an mercy. 30:21
- Help your family, the needy, and wayfarers. 30:38
- Pay the poor-due. 31:4
- "Be modest in thy bearing and subdue thy voice." 31:19
- "Speak words straight to the point."
Say what you mean; mean what you say. 33:70
- Good and evil are not the same. Repel evil with goodness. That way your enemies
will become your friends. 41:34
- Be loving and kind to your relatives. 42:23
- It is wrong to oppress people. 42:42
- Live peacefully with disbelievers. 43:88-89
- Be kind to your parents. 46:15
- Don't defame, insult, spy on, or backbite one another.. 49:11-12
- Give of your wealth to help the poor. 51:19
- "A guess can never take the place of the truth." 53:28
- Pay the poor-due. 58:13
- Pay the poor-due. 73:20
- Don't defraud. 83:1-3
- Free a slave, feed the hungry, and exhort one another to pity.
- Don't oppress orphans or drive away beggars. 93:9-10
- Pay the poor-due. That is true religion. 98:5
- Let each person believe (or disbelieve) whatever he or she wishes. 109:1, 6