-SABoM DB Forum
1830 Book of Mormon
Get the SAB (and the SABoM) on CD
Changes in the Book of Mormon
- 1830: Behold, the virgin whom thou seest is the mother of God.
Now: Behold, the virgin whom thou seest is the mother of the Son God. 11:18
- 1830: Behold, the Lamb of God, yea, even the Eternal Father!
Now: Behold, the Lamb of God, yea, even the Son of the Eternal Father!
- 1830: yea, the everlasting God was judged of the world
Now: yea, the Son of the everlasting God was judged of the world
- 1830: and Jesus Christ, which is the Lamb of God
Now: and the Messiah, which is the Lamb of God
(This was changed to avoid contradicting
2 Nephi 10:3, which first reveals to Nephi the
name of Christ.)
- 1830: ...the Lamb of God is the Eternal Father...
Now: ...the Lamb of God is the son of the Eternal Father...
- 1830: ...and are come forth out of the waters of Judah, which swear by the name of the Lord...
Now: ...are come forth out of the waters of Judah, or out of the waters of baptism, who swear by
the name of the Lord...20:1
- First appearance of the word "Christ" in the modern BoM. "Christ" appeared earlier (1 Nephi 12:18) in
the 1830 edition,
but was changed to "Messiah" to avoid contradicting this verse. 10:3
- 1830: seraphims
The 1830 edition copied the KJV error in the plural of seraph. 16:2, 6
- 1830: Wo me!
Now: Wo is unto me! 16:5
The omitted italicized word "is" was later corrected.
- 1830: Here I; send me.
Now: Here I am; send me. 16:8
The omitted italicized word "am" was later corrected.
- 1830: ...they shall be a white and delightsome people...
Now: ...they shall be a pure and delightsome people.... 30:6
"White" was changed to "pure" to try to soften the obvious racism of this prophecy.
- 1830 version: "...that king Benjamin had a gift from God..."
Now: "...that king Mosiah had a gift from God..." 21:28
Since King Benjamin was dead at the time, this change was needed to avoid the obvious error.
- 1830: ... the Son of the only begotten of the Father ...
Now: ... the only begotten of the Father ... 5:48
- 1830: cherubims (as in the King James Version)
Now: cherubim 12:21
(Cheribims is the incorrect plural of cherub.)