1 Corinthians: Prophecy
- Paul tells the Corinthians to be good until "the day of our Lord Jesus Christ."
(He expected Jesus to return within
their lifetimes.) 1:7-8
- Paul, like Jesus and the other New Testament writers, expects the end to come soon. "The time is short." So there's
no time for sex or marriage, since the world will be ending soon. 7:29
- Paul says that the end of the world will come during his lifetime. 10:11,
- "Whether there be prophecies, they shall fail."
Paul prophesies that all prophecies will fail. But since this itself is a prophecy, it also will
fail (if the prophecy is correct), making it a false prophecy. 13:8
- These verses claim that the scriptures prophesied that Jesus would suffer, die, and be resurrected from the dead.
But where are the prophecies that are referred to here? Hosea 6:2 perhaps? But this verse refers to the people living at the
time (hence "us") and therefore cannot be fulfilled by the death and
resurrection of Jesus. 15:3-4