Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
- "And a bastard shall dwell in Ashdod." 9:6
- "I will take away his blood out of his mouth, and his abominations from between his teeth."
- (9:8) "No oppressor shall pass through them any more."
Israel shall never again be oppressed. Another obviously false prophecy; Israel has been
occupied many times since the time of Zechariah. 9>8
- "Thy King cometh ... riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass."
The gospels (especially Mt.21:4-5 and Jn.12:14-15)
claim that Jesus fulfils this prophecy. But the next few verses
(9:10-13) show that the person referred to in this verse is a military king that
would rule "from sea to sea." Since Jesus had neither an army or a
kingdom, he could not have fulfilled this prophecy.
But that didn't stop the gospel authors from applying this prophecy to Jesus. They searched for prophecies
in the Hebrew scriptures, and then claimed that Jesus fulfilled them. The author of Matthew's gospel got a bit
carried away with this one, though; he had Jesus riding on two donkeys, since he misunderstood the Hebrew
poetry in Zechariah 9:9.
Matthew 21:4 says, "All this was done, that it might be fulfilled
which was spoken by the prophet." And he might be right about that. If Jesus really did ride into town
on a donkey (or two donkeys), then he probably did it so that he would "fulfil" the prophecy in Zechariah.
It's easy to fulfil a prophecy if you set your mind to it. 9:9
- Israel shall never again be oppressed. Another obviously false prophecy; Israel has been occupied
many times since the time of Zechariah. 9:8
- The river of Egypt (identified as the Nile in NIV, NASB, and RSV) shall dry up. This
has never occurred. 10:11
- Matthew (27:9) quotes this verse, but incorrectly attributes it to Jeremiah.
- God plans to expel the prophets and unclean spirits. Sounds like a good plan to me.
- Someday prophets will be killed by their own parents by "thrusting him through when he prophesieth." 13:3
- "The prophets shall be ashamed every one of his vision." 13:4
- Somday there will be a day that will have neither day nor night with a bright sunny evening. 14:7
- "Living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea:
in summer and in winter shall it be." 14:8