Plagues sent by God
- God sends a plague on the Pharaoh and his household because the Pharaoh believed Abram's lie.
And the LORD plagued Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai Abram's wife.
- The Ten Plagues of Egypt
Water into blood Ex.7:18-21
(The Egyptian magicians did this one, too. Ex.7:22)
(The Egyptian magicians did this one, too. Ex.8:7)
(This Egyptian magicians couldn't do this one. The lice trick convinced them that "this is the finger of God."
God kills all Egyptian cattle Ex.9:3-6
Killing of the first born Ex.11:4-7, 12:12,
- God tells the sons of Levi (Moses, Aaron, and the other members of their tribe that were "on the Lord's side") to kill their
family and friends for dancing naked around Aaron's golden calf. "And there fell of the people that day about 3000 men."
- God "put the plague of leprosy" into the houses of the Canaanites. 14:34
- When the Israelites complained about the lack of food, God sent quails to eat until it came out their noses. But
then, for some strange reason, "while the flesh was still between their teeth, the Lord smote the people with a very
great plague." Num.11:4-33
- God killed those that murmured against him with a plague. Num.14:36-37
- After God killed Korah, his family, and
250 innocent bystanders, the people complained saying, "ye have killed the
people of the Lord." So God, who doesn't take kindly to criticism, sends a
plague that killed another 14,700. Num.16:41-50
- God sends "fiery serpents" to bite his chosen people, and many of them die. Numbers 21:6
- God killed 24,000 Israelites for "committing whoredom with the daughters of Moab." Num.25:9
- God smites the people of Ashdod with hemorrhoids "in their secret parts." 1 Samuel 5:6-12
- God kills 50,070 men for looking into the ark. "And the people lamented, because the Lord had smitten many of the people with a great slaughter."
1 Samuel 6:19
- A famine is sent on David's kingdom for three years. When David asks God why, God answers: "It is for Saul, and his bloody house, because he slew the Gibeonites.
"So God sent a famine to punish a kingdom for something that a former king had done. 2 Samuel 21:1
- God offers David a choice of punishments for having conducted the census: 1) seven years of famine ( 1 Chr.21:1 says three years),
2) three months fleeing from enemies, or 3) three days of pestilence. David can't decide, so God chooses for him and sends a pestilence,
killing 70,000 men (and probably around 200,000 women and children). 2 Samuel 24:13
- God promises to "bring evil upon the house of Jerobaom," saying he will "cut off" anyone "that pisseth against the wall." Then,
after he is done with them, their dead bodies will be eaten by dogs (if they are city dwellers) or fowls (if they are country folk).
1 Kings 14:10-12
- Elisha not only can cure leprosy, he can also dish it out. Here he makes his servant (Gehazi) and all his descendants lepers forever.
2 Kings 5:27
- God sends a famine on the people that lasts for seven years. 2 Kings 8:1
- God kills 70,000 men because David had a census. 1 Chronicles 21:7
- Dwindling in Unbelief
- The Top Ten Biblical Plagues
Why does God send plagues? So that people can get to know him better.
For I will at this time send all my plagues upon thine heart, and upon thy servants, and
upon thy people; that thou mayest know that there is none like me in all the earth. Ex.9:14