Barren Women in the Bible
Here is a list of barren women in the Bible
(In the Bible it is always the women who are barren, never the men.)
- Sarah, Abraham's first wife
- But Sarai was barren; she had no child. Genesis 11:30
- Rebekkah, Isaac's wife
- Isaac intreated the LORD for his wife, because she was barren. Genesis 25:21
- Rachel, one of Jacob's wives
- Rachel was barren. Genesis 29:31
- Manoah's nameless wife, Samson's mother
- There was a certain man ... whose name was Manoah; and his wife was barren. Judges 13:2
- Samuel's mother, Hannah.
- Elkannah ...had two wives; the name of the one was Hannah.... The Lord had shut up her womb.
1 Samuel 1:1-5
- Elisabeth, John the Baptist's mother
- They had no child, because that Elisabeth was barren. Luke 1:7
Each of the six "barren" women (listed above) later became pregnant with God's help.
(All of the resulting babies were boys.)
- The Lord visited Sarah and she conceived a son -- Isaac.
- The LORD visited Sarah as he had said, and the LORD did unto Sarah as he had spoken. For Sarah conceived, and bare
Abraham a son in his old age. ... And Abraham called the name of his son that was born unto him, whom Sarah
bare to him, Isaac. Genesis 21:1-3
- Isaac intreated the Lord and Rebekkah delivered twins -- Esau and Jacob.
- Isaac intreated the LORD for his wife, because she was barren: and the LORD was intreated of him,
and Rebekah his wife conceived. ... Behold, there were twins in her womb. ... Esau and Jacob.
- God remembered Rachel and opened her womb -- Joseph.
- And God remembered Rachel, and God hearkened to her, and opened her womb. And she conceived, and bare a son ...
And she called his name Joseph. Genesis 30:22-24
- And angel appeared twice to Manoah's nameless wife -- Samson.
- The angel of the LORD appeared unto the woman, and said unto her, Behold now, thou art barren,
and bearest not: but thou shalt conceive, and bear a son. ... the angel of God came again unto the woman
as she sat in the field: but Manoah her husband was not with her. ... And the woman bare a son, and called
his name Samson. Judges 13:3-24
- Elkanah knew Hannah; the Lord remembered her; and Samuel was born.
- Elkanah knew Hannah his wife; and the LORD remembered her ... Hannah had conceived, that she bare a son,
and called his name Samuel, 1 Samuel 1:19-20
- Zecharias prayed and an angel visited Elisabeth -- Joh the Baptist
- The angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias [Elisabeth's husband]: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth
shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John. Luke 1:13
Here is a list of women who had their wombs shut by God. (Some women God makes barren from birth; others are made
barren when he shuts their wombs.)
- God closed all the wombs of the women in Abimelech's house (because he believed Abraham's "she's my sister lie").
- The LORD had fast closed up all the wombs of the house of Abimelech, because of Sarah Abraham's wife.
- But after Abraham prayed to God, God healed all the wombs in Abimelech's household.
- So Abraham prayed unto God: and God healed Abimelech, and his wife, and his maidservants; and they bare children.
- Hannah, Samuel's mother
- Elkanah ... had two wives; the name of one was Hannah. ... But the Lord had shut her womb.
1 Samuel 1:1-5
- Later Elkanah had sex with Hannah, God remmembered her, and Samuel was born.
- Elkanah knew Hannah his wife; and the LORD remembered her. Wherefore ... Hannah had conceived ...
and called his name Samuel. 1 Samuel 1:19
- God punished Michal, David's first wife, with childlessness for complaining about David when he danced nearly
naked in front of everyone.
- Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her death.
2 Samuel 6:23
(But see: How many children did Michal have?
What the Bible Says About Barren Women
If you obey God, you won't have any barren women (or animals).
If ye hearken to these judgments, and keep, and do them ... there shall not be male
or female barren among you, or among your cattle. Deuteronomy 7:12-14
Ye shall serve the LORD your God, and ... there shall nothing cast their young, nor be barren.
God makes a barren woman keep house, and be the joyful mother of children.
He maketh the barren woman to keep house, and to be a joyful mother of children. Psalm 113:9
Barren women should sing and rejoice.
Sing, O barren, thou that didst not bear; break forth into singing, and cry aloud, thou that didst not travail
with child: for more are the children of the desolate than the children of the married wife, saith the LORD.
Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath
many more children than she which hath an husband. Galatians 4:27
A barren womb is one of the three or four things that are never satisfied.
There are three things that are never satisfied, yea, four things say not, It is enough:
The grave; and the barren womb; the earth that is not filled with water; and the fire that saith not, It is enough.
Someday people will say, "Blessed are the barren women."
For, behold, the days are coming, in the which they shall say, Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that
never bare, and the paps which never gave suck. Luke 23:29