What the Bible says about Democracy
- In the Parable of the Talents, Jesus not only seems to approve of monarchy, he implies that
those who refuse to be ruled by a king should be executed.
- He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for
himself a kingdom, and to return....
But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not
have this man to reign over us....
But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them,
bring hither, and slay them before me. Luke 19:12-27
- Korah and his companions were the first martyrs for democracy. God punished them by burying them alive.
- Now Korah...and Dathan and Abiram...and On...rose up before
Moses, with...250 princes of the assembly, famous in the congregation, men of
renown: And they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron, and
said unto them, Ye take too much upon you, seeing all the congregation are holy,
every one of them, and the LORD is among them: wherefore then lift ye up yourselves
above the congregation of the LORD?...And the LORD spake unto Moses and
unto Aaron, saying, Separate yourselves from among this congregation, that I may
consume them in a moment...And it came to pass...that the ground clave asunder
that was under them: And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and
... they, and
all that appertained to them, went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed upon
them: and they perished from among the congregation. Numbers 16:1-35
- According to the Bible, humans are incapable of governing themselves.
- O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his
steps. Jeremiah 10:23