What the Quran says about
What the Bible says about
What the Book of Mormon says about
Get the SAB
(and the SAQ)
- 2:228 "(Women) have rights similar to those (of
men) over them in kindness, and men are a degree above them."
- 2:282 "And call two witness from among your men,
two witnesses. And if two men be not at hand, then a man and two women."
- 4:3 "Marry of the women, who seem good to you, two
or three or four."
- 4:11 "To the male the equivalent of the portion
of two females, and if there be women more than two, then theirs is two-thirds of the
inheritance, and if there be one (only) then the half."
- 4:15 "As for those of your women who are guilty
of lewdness, call to witness four of you against them. And if they testify (to
the truth of the allegation) then confine them to the houses until
death take them."
- 40:20 "And if ye wish to exchange one wife for
- 4:34 "Men are in charge of women, because Allah
hath made the one of them to excel the other, and because they spend of their property
(for the support of women). So good women are the obedient, guarding in secret that
which Allah hath guarded. As for those from whom ye fear rebellion, admonish them and
banish them to beds apart, and scourge them."
- 4:176 "Unto the male is the equivalent of the
share of two females."
- 24:31 "And tell the believing women to lower
their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent,
and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to
their own husbands. ... And let them not stamp
their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment."
- 33:30 "O ye wives of the Prophet! Whosoever of
you committeth manifest lewdness, the punishment for her will be doubled, and that is
easy for Allah."
- 33:32-33 "O ye wives of the Prophet! Ye are not
like any other women. ... Stay in your houses."
- 33:53 "When ye ask of them (the
wives of the Prophet) anything, ask it of them from behind a curtain. That is purer for
your hearts and for their hearts. And it is not for you to cause annoyance to the
messenger of Allah, nor that ye should ever marry his wives after him. Lo! that in
Allah's sight would be an enormity."
- 33:59 "O Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy
daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when
they go abroad)."
- 65:1 "O Prophet! When ye (men) put away women...."
- 66:5 "If he [Muhammad] divorce you, will give him
in your stead wives better than you, submissive (to Allah), believing, pious, penitent,
devout, inclined to fasting, widows and maids."
What the Bible says about Women's Rights
- Dwindling in Unbelief/Quran
- Muslim feminists to interpret the Quran