- "Whosoever hath, to him shall be given; and whosoever hath not,
from him shall be taken even that which he seemeth to have." Jesus was the first Republican. 8:18
- "Unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be
much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the
Quoted by President Obama at the 2012 National Prayer Breakfast,
in support of increased taxes on the wealthy. 12:48
- "Take from him the pound, and give it to him that hath ten pounds. (And they said unto him, Lord, he hath ten pounds.)
For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him."
These verses are used by Republicans to justify protecting the rich from taxation. 19:24-26
- "Render therefore unto Caesar the things which be Caesar's, and unto God the things which be God's."
Pay your taxes. Keep state and church separate. 20:25
- From his comments on the widow's mites, it appears that Jesus favored progressive taxation. 21:1-3