Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
Leviticus: Science and History
- The Bible says that hares and coneys are unclean because they "chew the cud" but do
not part the hoof. But hares and coneys are not ruminants and they do not "chew the cud."
- Bats are birds to the biblical God. 11:13, 19
- Four-legged fowls are abominations. 11:20
- Be sure to watch out for those "other flying creeping things which have four feet." (I wish
God wouldn't get so technical!) I guess he must mean four-legged insects. You'd think that since
God made the insects, and so many of them (at least several million species), that he would know
how many legs they have! 11:23
- God's law for lepers: Get two birds. Kill one. Dip the live bird in the blood of the
dead one. Sprinkle the blood on the leper seven times, and then let the blood-soaked bird fly off.
Next find a lamb and kill it. Wipe some of its blood on the patient's right ear, thumb, and big toe.
Sprinkle seven times with oil and wipe some of the oil on his right ear, thumb and big toe.
Repeat. Finally kill a couple doves and offer one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt