Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
Lamentations: Cruelty and Violence
- God tramples "as in a winepress" mighty men, young men, and virgins. 1:15-16
- "The Lord Was an enemy." 2:4-8
- God mercilessly kills everyone, young and old. He even causes women to eat their children.
- God is like a bear or a lion who secretly pursues you and then tears you apart. 3:10-11
- God shoots people with his bow and his arrows pierce their kidneys ("reins"). 3:13
- "He hath also broken my teeth with gravel stones." 3:16
- "Thou hast slain, thou hast not pitied." 3:43
- "Give them sorrow of heart, thy curse unto them. Persecute and destroy them
in anger." 3:63-64
- God punishes the Israelites by starving their children to death. 4:4-9
- God "accomplishes his fury" by making women eat their children.