Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
- "Awake, ye drunkards, and weep; and howl, all ye drinkers of wine, because of the new wine; for it is cut off from your mouth."
- "He hath ... barked my fig tree." God hates figs. 1:7
- "Lament like a virgin girded with sackcloth for the husband of her youth." 1:8
- "Gird yourselves, and lament, ye priests: howl, ye ministers of the altar: come, lie all night in sackcloth." 1:13
- The animals are perplexed and cry out to God after he torments
them by burning their food and drying up the rivers. 1:18-20
- "The day of the LORD cometh, for it is nigh at hand." 1:15,
- "A day of darkness and of gloominess, a day of clouds and of thick darkness"
"The day of the Lord" will be dark and gloomy -- like a northern Idaho spring day. 2:2
- There will be earthquakes, the sun and the moon will be dark, and the stars will no longer shine.
- "Therefore also now, saith the LORD ... rend your hearts, and not your garments." 2:12-13
- God says he will repay Israel for the damage the locusts caused -- which he sent!
And they will "praise the name of the Lord." 2:25-26
- "The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood." These "signs" were a lot more impressive before
the causes of solar and lunar eclipses were understood. 2:31
- The Lord will roar and the heavens and earth will shake. 3:16