Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
Jeremiah: Family Values
- God tries to "correct" people by killing their children. 2:30
- A divorced woman is "polluted" when she remarries. The man, of course, remains perfectly
clean through it all, even though he was the one who "put her away" in the first place.
- "As a wife treacherously departeth from her husband...."
If a woman leaves her husband, she is "treacherous," but a man is blameless when he "puts her away" for no
- God just can't hold in his fury any longer. He will kill everyone: husbands and wives, children and old people.
- "How shall I pardon thee for this? thy children have ... committed adultery, and assembled themselves by troops in the harlots' houses."
- God will punish the men by taking away their property, including their wives, and giving it to others.
- God plans to kill pretty much everyone: fathers and sons,
family, friends, and neighbors. God plans to kill them all after laying a stumbling block before them.
- To punish the men, God will "give their wives to others." 8:10
- Don't trust anyone. Not even your neighbors, family, or friends. Those who
believe differently than you are all liars and evil doers. 9:4-6
- God will kill children and young men, and the dead bodies "shall fall as dung .... and none shall
gather them." 9:21-22
- Jeremiah prays for the destruction of people and families that don't call on God's name.
- God will punish the people by killing their young men in war and starving their children to
- God plans to make everyone in the kingdom drunk and then "dash the fathers and the sons
together." The merciful God of peace vows to "not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them." 13:12-14
- God will kill children and make widows as numerous as grains of sand. 15:7-8
- God tells Jeremiah not to get married or have children, because he's
going to kill everyone (mothers and daughters, fathers and sons). They all "shall die of grievous
deaths," and that shall neither "be lamented" nor buried, but "shall
be as dung upon the face of the earth." For he has removed peace, "lovingkindness," and mercy
from the people. 16:1-7
- Jeremiah asks God to kill the young men in war and the children by starvation.
- God will make parents eat their own children, and friends eat each other. 19:7-9
- God will have Jeconiah's enemies kill him and his mother and then
ensure that he die without leaving any sons. 22:25-30
- God will punish the children of Shemaiah for their father's false prophecy. 29:32
- God will expose Esau's "secret places" and spoil his seed (kill his children). 49:10