Science and History
Cruelty and Violence
- "If any of you lack wisdom ... ask of God ... and it shall be given him."
This is the verse that set the 14-year-old Joseph Smith off to found
the Mormon Church. That is just an example of the type of wisdom God can give you. 1:5
- If you "keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, "you are guilty of all." 2:10
- "If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."
There are many smooth talking crooks out there -- especially politicians! 3:2
- James says that, even in his day, all beasts, birds, serpents, and sea creatures had been tamed by humans.
- "Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss."
If your prayers are not answered, it's your own damned fault. 4:3
- "The coming of the Lord draweth nigh." 5:8
- "The Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy." 5:11
- "Above all things ... swear not." 5:12
- "Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms." 5:13
- If you are sick, rely on the power of prayer. It works every time. 5:14-16
- "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." 5:16
- By praying, Elias was able to keep it from raining for three and a half years. 5:17