Cruelty and Violence
Hosea: Family Values
- God tells Hosea to commit adultery, saying "take ... a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms" because the land has "committed great
whoredom." So Hosea did as God commanded and "took" a wife named Gomer.
- God told Hosea to name his baby girl "Loruhamah," which means unloved. 1:6
- God (or Hosea?) tells his children that their mother is a whore who is not his wife. He asks
them to tell their mother to "put away her whoredoms" and "her adulteries from between her breasts" or
he'll "strip her naked ... and slay her with thirst." 2:2-3
- God "will not have mercy upon ... the children of whoredoms. For their mother hath played the
- God tells Hosea to love an adulteress. (I thought he already did that in chapter 1.) In any case, Hosea buys (another?) one
for a homer and a half of barley. 3:1-2
- If you misbehave, God will make your daughters "commit whoredom" and your wife "commit
- "They have begotten strange [illegitimate] children." 5:7
- God will induce miscarriages and kill the children of Ephraim. 9:11-12
- "O Lord: what wilt thou give? give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts."
- "I will slay even the beloved fruit of their womb." 9:16
- God will punish Israel by "dashing" together mothers and their children.
- Because the Samaritans chose to worship another deity, God will dash their infants to pieces and
their "women with child shall be ripped up." 13:16