Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
- God swears by himself to himself. 6:13
- "Melchisedec ... to whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all."
Abraham gave Melchisedec one-tenth of all of the booty from "the slaughter of the kings,"
setting a fine example for religious hucksters everywhere. 7:1-2
- Melchisedec had no father or mother. He was never born (he just appeared ready-made by God) and he never died.
He's still around somewhere. 7:1-3
- God will not forgive anyone unless something is killed for him in a bloody manner. 9:13-22
- "For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry." 10:37
- Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
Faith is believing without evidence things that you wish were true (but aren't). 11:1
- "Enoch was translated that he should not see death." 11:5
- "By faith Noah ... condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith." 11:7
- "Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed." 11:11
- "Therefore sprang ... so many as the stars of the sky ... and as the sand ... by the sea shore innumerable."
(OK, so maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration.) 11:12
- "By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry land." 11:29
- "By faith the walls of Jericho fell down." 11:30
- "Time would fail me to tell of Gideon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthah; of David also, and Samuel,
and of the prophets."
The heroes of faith: Gideon, Samson, Jephthah,
David, and Samuel. It would be hard to find a more monstrous group than these guys. 11:32
- "Others were tortured ... that they might obtain a better resurrection." 11:35
- "Whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth." 12:6
- "What son is he whom the father chasteneth not?"
What kind of father doesn't beat his sons now and then? 12:7
- God always hurts the ones he loves. And if God doesn't hurt you, you are a
bastard, not a son. 12:8
- God ordered animals to be "stoned, or thrust through with a dart" if they "so much as ... touch the mountain."
- "Ye are come ... to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things that that of Abel." 12:22-24
- "Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying ... I shake not the earth only, but also heaven."
When God speaks there are earthquakes (and heavenquakes). 12:26
- Be hospitable to strangers for "thereby some have entertained angels." 13:2
- Avoid "strange doctrines." Those who do so will avoid nearly everything that the Bible teaches. 13:9