Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
Ezekiel: Family Values
- God will force fathers to eat their sons and the to eat their fathers. 5:10
- God sends a "man clothed with linen" to mark the foreheads of the men who will
be saved. Apparently only men are considered good enough to keep, the others (unmarked men,
"maids", little children, and women) are to be slaughtered. God says he'll "fill
the courts with the slain" and will have pity on no one. 9:4-10
- "Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women." 9:6
- When really bad things happen (like you or your children get eaten by wild beasts, get killed in war, get sick and die, etc.), then you'll know that it was God that did it to you.
And he won't spare children just because there are a few righteous people around. 14:13-21
- "All souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine." 18:4
- A son who misbehaves by robbing, killing, eating on mountains, defiling his neighbor's wife,
oppressing the poor, looking at idols, loaning money with interest, or committing abomination (Lev 18:22 type
or otherwise) then that son must be killed. 18:10-13
- God gave the Israelites "statutes that were not good and judgments whereby they should not live." He "polluted" them so that he "might make them desolate"
and force them to kill and sacrifice their children "that they might know" that he is the Lord. 20:25-26
- Two sisters were guilty of "committing whoredoms" by pressing their breasts and
bruising "the teats of their virginity." As a punishment, one sister's nakedness was
discovered, her children were taken from her, and she was killed by the sword. And the fate of the
surviving sister was even worse: Her nose and ears were cut off, she was made to "pluck off"
her own breasts, and then after being raped and mutilated, she is stoned to death.
- "These discovered her nakedness: they took her sons and her daughters, and slew her with the sword." 23:10
- "They shall take away thy nose and thine ears; and thy remnant shall fall by the sword: they shall take thy sons and thy daughters;
and thy residue shall be devoured by the fire." 23:25
- God kills Ezekiel's wife and then tells him not to mourn her. 24:16-18
- God killed Ezekiel's wife to demonstrate his intention to kill the Israelites' children. And just as God told Ezekiel not to mourn his wife's death,
God forbids the parents to mourn the death of their children. 24:21-24
- God will cause each man's sword to be against his brother. 38:21