Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
Deuteronomy: Science and History
- "Ye are this day as the stars of heaven for multitude ... The LORD God of your fathers make you
a thousand times so many more."
The author (and God if he inspired him) obviously had no idea how many stars there are.
- "The people is greater and taller than we ... we have seen the sons of the Anakims there."
More giants in the promised land. 1:28
- It took the Israelites 40 years to travel from Egypt to Canaan, yet such a journey, even at that time,
would have taken no more than a few weeks. 2:7, 8:2,
- "A land of giants: giants dwelt therein in old time."
(They must have been much more common back then.) 2:10-11,
- Og, the king of the giants, was a tall man, even by NBA standards. His bed measured 9 by 4 cubits (13.5 feet long and
6 feet wide). 3:11
- God promises to cast out seven nations including the Amorites, Canaanites, and the Jebusites. But he was unable to
fulfill his promise. These nations were "greater and mightier" than the Israelites, who according to
Exodus 12:37 and Numbers 1:45-46 already had numbered
several million. So the region, according to the bible, must have had a population of
more than twenty million! 7:1
- "Who led thee through that great and terrible wilderness, wherein were
fiery serpents? ... Who brought thee forth water out of the rock of flint?" 8:15
- "A people great and tall, the children of the Anakims."
More giants! 9:2
- "When I was gone up into the mount to receive the tables of stone ... I abode in the mount forty days and forty nights, I neither did eat bread nor drink water." 9:9
- This verse mistakenly says that the hare chews its cud. 14:7-8
- To the biblical God, a bat is just an another unclean bird. 14:11, 18
- "And thy heaven that is over thy head shall be brass, and the earth that is under thee shall
be iron." 28:23
- "The LORD shall make the rain of thy land powder and dust: from heaven shall it come down upon thee, until thou be destroyed."
- "An eagle ... beareth them on her wings."
Do eagles carry their young on their wings? I know of no evidence (except for the single anecdote
provided here) that they do.
- "Their wine is the poison of dragons." I wonder what genus and species the bible is referring to when it mentions
- Joseph's "horns are like the horns of unicorns." 33:17