Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy.
- Colossians 2:8
Colossians for Skeptics
This is one of Paul's disputed letters. Some scholars believe that Paul wrote it; others think it was forged by one of his
followers (1). But whoever wrote it, it's not of much interest to skeptics, except to note that wives must submit to their husbands, slaves must
obey their masters, and everyone needs to beware of philosophy.
Here are the highlights.
- "It pleased the Father ... having made peace through the blood of his cross." 1:19-20
- "The gospel ... was preached to every creature ... under heaven." 1:23
- "Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy." 2:8
- "Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord." 3:18
- "Servants [slaves], obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as
menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God." 3:22
- "Read the epistle from Laodicea." 4:16