- God casts some people into a "lake of fire and brimstone" where they suffer "the pains of hell."
- God commanded Abraham to kill his son Isaac. (And that was a good thing?) 4:5
- God will curse some people and burn the world with fire. 6:3
- Those who "bring forth evil fruit" will be "cast into the fire." 6:7
- God will cast some people into a lake of fire and brimstone where he will torment them forever.
- Sherem, the first freethought martyr in the Book of Mormon [see the story of Korihor for another
(Alma 30)], tells Jacob he is misleading the people in by telling them
(ca. 500 BCE) that Christ will be coming "many hundred years hence." 7:1-7
- Jacob asks Sherem if he denies that Christ will come. Sherem answers that although he doesn't believe it now,
he could be convinced if Jacob could show him a sign. Jacob responds by saying, "Thou art the devil ... but if
God shall smite thee, let that be a sign unto thee." 7:9-14
- "He gave up the ghost."
God gives Sherem a little sign: he kills him. 7:15-20
- "This thing was pleasing to me."
Jacob is pleased that God killed Sherem. 7:22