-In the Bible
-SABoM DB Forum
Get the SAB (and the SABoM) on CD
Book of Mormon: Politics
- "Wo unto the liar, for he shall be thrust down to hell."
A warning to politicians -- especially Mitt Romney!
- Black and white, male and female, heathen, Jew, or Gentile -- all are alike to God. 26:33
- Use your wealth to help the poor and less fortunate. 2:19
- "And even I, myself [me, myself, and I, i.e., Mosiah], have labored with mine own hands that I might serve you, and that ye should not
be laden with taxes."
(Mosiah was a card-carrying member of the Republican party.) 2:14
- "Administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need; and ye will not suffer that the beggar putteth
up his petition to you in vain, and turn him out to perish." 4:16
- "Ye ought to impart of the substance that ye have one to another." 4:21
- "Impart of your substance to the poor, every man according to that which he hath, such as feeding the hungry,
clothing the naked, visiting the sick and administering to their relief." 4:26
- "And he [Noah] laid a tax of one fifth part of all they possessed."
Since Noah was a bad guy (who "did not keep the commandments of the Lord") and he taxed the people 20%, I guess God (or Joseph Smith) didn't
approve of flat taxes -- or maybe taxes of any kind. 11:3
- Alma seemed to favor progressive taxation and a welfare system. He demanded little of those with little, and more from
those with more to give, "and to him that had not should be given." 18:27
- "There should be an equality among all men." 27:3
- "I desire that this inequality should be no more in this land ... but I desire that this
land be a land of liberty, and every man may enjoy his rights and privileges alike." 29:32
- "They did impart of their substance, every man according to that which he had, to the poor, and
the needy, and the sick, and the afflicted." 1:27
- "Will you persist in turning your backs upon the poor,
and the needy, and in withholding your substance from them?" 5:55
- "He [Riplakish -- a bad guy] did tax them with heavy taxes."
God is a Republican (or a Libertarian). 10:5
- Rethinking Mormonism