24: The Light
Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
Previous | Next
Get the SAB
(and the SAQ)
Injustice in Surah 24
- Scourge adulterers and adulteresses with 100 stripes. Do not show
them any pity. Have a party of believers watch the punishment. 24:2
- Only adulterers can marry adulteresses. Believers are not to marry them.
- If you accuse an honorable women of adultery, be sure to bring four witness.
Otherwise you will receive 80 lashes. 24:4
- A husband can accuse his wife of adultery with only one witness (himself). But he has to swear five times (so he can count as
four or more separate witnesses in accordance with 24.4). 24:6
- Those who spread slander will face an awful doom. 24:11
- Those who murmur will face an awful doom. 24:14
- Those who traduce virtuous, believing women ... cursed are they in the world and the Hereafter.
Theirs will be an awful doom." 24:23
- Vile women are for vile men, and vile men for vile women. 24:26
- Believing women must lower their gaze and be modest, cover themselves with veils,
and not reveal themselves except to their husbands, relatives, children, and slaves.
- "And such of your slaves as seek a writing (of emancipation), write it for them if ye are aware of aught of good in them, and bestow
upon them of the wealth of Allah which He hath bestowed upon you. Force not your slave-girls to whoredom."
Well, I guess this is about as good as it gets in the Quran. Allah encourages you to set your slaves free if they are good enough.
And don't pimp out your slave-girls (concubines). 24:33
- Disbelievers are miscreants. 24:55
- Disbelievers will never escape the Fire that will be their home. 24:57
- It's okay for believers to own slaves. 24:58
- The only true believers are those who believe in Allah and his messenger.