Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
Cruelty and Violence in Helaman
- Those who rebelled against the Nephites (Mormons) were killed or "driven out of the land." 4:2
- God gives Nephi the power to "smite the earth with famine, and with pestilence, and destruction."
- If Nephi asks God to "smite this people, it shall come to pass." 10:10
- Nephi asks God to send a famine on the land. "And so it was done, according to the words of
Nephi. ... And the whole earth was smitten," causing thousands of people to starve to death.
- God must kill and terrorize people with starvation and disease or they won't remember him.
- God torments people in hell forever for "their iniquities." 12:20
- God will consign evil doers "to a state of endless misery" and "everlasting damnation." 12:26
- God prophesies that he will kill the Nephites with war, starvation, and disease within the next 400 years or so.
(And I guess if you believe the Book of Mormon, he did with a little help from the Lamanites).
- If there weren't some "righteous" people in the city, God would have burned everyone to death by sending
down fire from heaven. 13:13
- "Whosoever repenteth not is hewn down and cast into the fire." 14:18
- If the Nephites don't repent, God will kill them all for their unbelief. 15:17