Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
Dwindling in Unbelief
SAB: 2 Kings
Get the SAB
2 Kings: Intolerance
- Ahaziah was sick and sent messengers to Baalzebub to ask if he would recover. God was jealous of the
attention given to his competitor and tells Ahaziah that he will die for asking the wrong god.
- God kills Ahaziah for consulting another God. 1:16-17
- God sends two bears to rip up 42 little children for making fun of Elisha's bald head. 2:23-24
- All seventy of king Ahab's sons are killed, their heads put in baskets, and sent to Jezreel. He says, "Lay ye
them in two heaps ..." 10:7-8
- Jehu kills all that remained of king Ahab's family. 10:11
- Jehu shows off his zeal for the Lord by murdering "all that remained unto Ahab in Samaria, till he had
destroyed him according to the word of the Lord." 10:16-17
- Jehu lied to the followers of Baal so that he could trap and kill them.
- Jehu warns his guards saying, "If any of the men escape, he that letteth him go, his life shall be
for the life of him." 10:24
- Jehu, when he finishes his animal sacrifices, orders his men to "Go in, and slay them, let none
come forth. And they smote them with the edge of the sword." 10:25
- God is greatly pleased with all of Jehu's killings, saying "because thou hast done well in executing
that which is right in mine eyes, and hast done unto the house of Ahab according to all that was in mine
heart [Jehu murdered them all], thy children of the fourth generation shall sit on the throne of Israel."
- The "Lord's people" destroyed the "house of Baal" and killed "the priest of Baal
before the altars." 11:17-18
- God strikes king Azariah with leprosy "unto the day of his death" for not removing the high places.
- God sent lions to devour the foreigners in Samaria because "they feared not the Lord," and even worse
"they knew not the manner of the God of the land." 17:25-26
- King Josiah (with God's approval) "put down" the priests and destroyed the sacred objects of all other religions. 23:4-6
- Josiah, with God's approval, broke down the houses of the sodomites. 23:7
- Josiah, apparently with God's approval, kills "all the priests of the high places" and sacrifices them to God on
their altars. Note that this is a guy who "did what was right in the eyes of the Lord"
(2 Kings 22:2). 23:20