Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
Dwindling in Unbelief
SAB: 2 Kings
Get the SAB
2 Kings: Injustice
- Ahaziah was sick and sent messengers to Baalzebub to ask if he would recover. God was jealous of the
attention given to his competitor and tells Ahaziah that he will die for asking the wrong god.
- Elijah shows that he is "a man of God" by burning 102 men to death. He
did the job in two shifts of 51 men each. 1:9-12
- God kills Ahaziah for consulting another God. 1:16-17
- God sends two bears to rip up 42 little children for making fun of Elisha's bald head. 2:23-24
- God instructs the Israelites, through the prophet Elisha, to implement a scorched earth policy on the
Moabites. "Strike every fortified city and every choice city, and fell every good tree and stop all springs of water,
and mar every good piece of land with stones." 3:19-25
- Elisha not only can cure leprosy, he can also dish it out. Here he makes his servant (Gehazi) and all his
descendants lepers forever. 5:27
- "So we boiled my son, and did eat him." Women killed, boiled and ate their own
children because of a plague that God sent, or as the Bible puts it: "Behold, this evil is of the
Lord." 6:28-29, 33
- Someone questions Elisha's forecast, and Elisha tells him (indirectly) that he'll be killed for it. (And he is. See
- A man is trampled to death for disbelieving Elisha. 7:17-20
- God sends a famine on the people that lasts for seven years. 8:1
- "Thus saith the LORD God ... thou shalt smite the house of Ahab thy master, that I may avenge the blood of my servants the prophets,
and the blood of all the servants of the LORD, at the hand of Jezebel." 9:6-7
- "For the whole house of Ahab shall perish: and I will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall."
- "I will make the house of Ahab like the house of Jeroboam ... Baasha."
God will kill Ahab's family just like he did the families of
- "And the dogs shall eat Jezebel ... and there shall be none to bury her." 9:10
- God pays back Ahab by killing his son. 9:24
- All seventy of king Ahab's sons are killed, their heads put in baskets, and sent to Jezreel. He says, "Lay ye
them in two heaps ..." 10:7-8
- Jehu kills all that remained of king Ahab's family. 10:11
- Jehu meets with 42 brothers of Ahaziah, and then he murders them. 2 Chronicles 22:7 says
that his killing was "of God." 10:13-14
- Jehu shows off his zeal for the Lord by murdering "all that remained unto Ahab in Samaria, till he had
destroyed him according to the word of the Lord." 10:16-17
- Jehu lied to the followers of Baal so that he could trap and kill them. 10:19
- Jehu warns his guards saying, "If any of the men escape, he that letteth him go, his life shall be for the life of
- Jehu, when he finishes his animal sacrifices, orders his men to "Go in, and slay them, let none come forth. And
they smote them with the edge of the sword." 10:25
- God is greatly pleased with all of Jehu's killings, saying "because thou hast done well in executing that which
is right in mine eyes, and hast done unto the house of Ahab according to all that was in mine heart [Jehu murdered
them all], thy children of the fourth generation shall sit on the throne of Israel." 10:30
- The "Lord's people" destroyed the "house of Baal" and killed "the priest of Baal
before the altars." 11:17-18
- God strikes king Azariah with leprosy "unto the day of his death" for not removing the high places.
- God sent lions to devour the foreigners in Samaria because "they feared not the Lord," and even worse
"they knew not the manner of the God of the land."
- I will send a blast upon him, and he shall hear a rumour, and
shall return to his own land; and I will cause him to fall by the sword in his own land."
God will cause Sennacherib to be killed by the sword. (See verse 37 where Sennacherib is
killed by his own sons while praying.) 19:7
- An "angel of the Lord" kills 185,000 men while they sleep. "And when they arose early in the morning, behold,
they were all dead corpses." I guess they all woke up and said, "Shucks, I'm dead." 19:35
- "Sennacherib ... departed ... And ... as he was worshipping in the
house of Nisroch his god, that Adrammelech and Sharezer his sons smote him with the sword."
God made the sons murder their father. (See verse 7.) 19:36-37
- God plans to "bring such evil upon
Jerusalem and Judah, that whosoever heareth of it, both his ears shall tingle."
- Josiah, with God's approval, broke down the houses of the sodomites. 23:7
- Josiah, apparently with God's approval, kills "all the priests of the high places" and sacrifices them to God on
their altars. Note that this is a guy who "did what was right in the eyes of the Lord"
(2 Kings 22:2). 23:20
- Even though Josiah did all that God asked of him, God still punished him and all Jerusalem for the acts of his