Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
Dwindling in Unbelief
SAB: 2 Kings
Get the SAB
2 Kings: Family Values
- God sends two bears to rip up 42 little children for making fun of Elisha's bald head. 2:23-24
- In a desperate attempt to halt the slaughter of his people by the Israelites, the king of Moab sacrifices his oldest
son as a burnt offering. And it seems to have worked! 3:27
- Elisha not only can cure leprosy, he can also dish it out. Here he makes his servant (Gehazi) and all his
descendants lepers forever. 5:27
- "So we boiled my son, and did eat him." Women killed, boiled and ate their own
children because of a plague that God sent, or as the Bible puts it: "Behold, this evil is of the
Lord." 6:28-29, 33
- "Thus saith the LORD God ... thou shalt smite the house of Ahab thy master, that I may avenge the blood of my servants the prophets,
and the blood of all the servants of the LORD, at the hand of Jezebel." 9:6-7
- "For the whole house of Ahab shall perish: and I will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall."
- "I will make the house of Ahab like the house of Jeroboam ... Baasha."
God will kill Ahab's family just like he did the families of
- God pays back Ahab by killing his son. 9:24
- All seventy of king Ahab's sons are killed, their heads put in baskets, and sent to Jezreel. He says, "Lay ye
them in two heaps ..." 10:7-8
- Jehu kills all that remained of king Ahab's family. 10:11
- Jehu meets with 42 brothers of Ahaziah, and then he murders them. 2 Chronicles 22:7 says
that his killing was "of God." 10:13-14
- I will send a blast upon him, and he shall hear a rumour, and
shall return to his own land; and I will cause him to fall by the sword in his own land."
God will cause Sennacherib to be killed by the sword. (See verse 37 where Sennacherib is
killed by his own sons while praying.) 19:7
- "Sennacherib ... departed ... And ... as he was worshipping in the
house of Nisroch his god, that Adrammelech and Sharezer his sons smote him with the sword."
God made the sons murder their father. (See verse 7.) 19:36-37