Cruelty and Violence
1 Thessalonians: Absurdity
- The elect and the damned are predestined by God. 1:4
- Paul, with his usual modesty, proclaims that he is holy, just, and blameless. 2:10
- Paul would have arrived earlier, but Satan hindered him. 2:18
- "Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?"
Paul believed that those alive in 49 CE would live to see Jesus come. 2:19
- "We told you before that we should
suffer tribulation; even as it came to pass."
Paul thought that the tribulation that he believed would
precede Jesus' coming had
already passed. 3:4
- Every man should know how to possess his penis or his wife (depending on the translation) in a holy way. 4:4
- "Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss." 5:26