Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
1 Samuel: Intolerance
- "The adversaries of the Lord shall be broken to pieces; out of heaven shall he thunder upon them." If God doesn't
like you, he'll send a thunderstorm your way to break your body into little pieces. 2:10
- God will kill those who sin against him. 2:25
- God kills 50,070 men for looking into the ark. "And the people lamented, because the Lord had smitten many of
the people with a great slaughter." 6:19
- "Saul ... slew the Ammorites unto the heat of the day." Then he took a little break. After all, killing is
hard work. 11:11
- To day the LORD hath wrought salvation in Israel."
God saved the Israelites by slaughtering the Ammonites. 11:13
- God orders Saul to kill all of the Amalekites: men, women, infants, sucklings, ox, sheep, camels, and asses.
Why? Because God remembers what Amalek did hundreds of years ago. 15:2-3
- Saul killed everyone but Agag (the king) and the best of the animals. But still God was furious with Saul for
not killing everything as he had been told to do. He said, "it repenteth me that I have set Saul up to be king."
- Saul is rebuked by Samuel for "doing evil in the sight of the Lord" by failing to kill all of the
- Because Saul didn't kill everyone as God commanded, God changes his mind about him
being king. 15:23-26
- To please God, Samuel hacks Agag in pieces "before the Lord" [I bet God enjoyed that!] -- after Agag
pleads with him saying, "surely the bitterness of death has past." 15:32-34
- "David went out, and fought with the Philistines, and slew them with a great slaughter." 19:8
- "David inquired of the Lord, saying, Shall I go and smite these Philistines? And the Lord said unto David, Go, and
smite the Philistines."
- "Then David enquired of the LORD yet again. And the LORD answered him and said ... I will deliver the Philistines into thine hand."
- "So David ... fought with the Philistines ... and smote them with a great slaughter." 23:5
- "And David smote the land and left neither man nor woman alive." (No wonder God liked David so much!)