Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
1 Corinthians: Injustice
- "I [God] will destroy the wisdom of the wise." 1:19
- Christians can judge everything and everybody, but no non-Christian can judge them.
- If you defile the temple of God, God will destroy you. 3:17
- Paul, judging from rumors alone, complains
that there are fornicators among his followers in Corinth; he is even worried
that some have had sex with their fathers' wives. He says that those who have
done these things should be "delivered to Satan for the destruction of the flesh" so that their
soul can be saved. 5:1-5
- A believer should not sue another believer in court. 6:1-7
- "Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world?" 6:2
- Paul lists ten things that will keep you out of heaven, including homosexuality and being
- Everything is lawful to Paul, and he submits himself to no law. 6:12,
- Slaves should not desire their freedom. Yet they should not be the servants of men.
- Paul quotes Dt 25:4, "Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that
treadeth out the corn." That sounds like a nice humane law. Until Paul explains it, that is. He asks, "Does God care about oxen?", and
then answers his own rhetorical question by saying, "Hell no. The law is for our sakes." 9:9-10
- "I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some."
Paul says he'll do whatever it takes to make people believe in order to save them from a God who will torture them for their honest disbelief.
- Paul claims that God killed 23,000 in a plague for "committing whoredom with the daughters
of Moab 10:8
- If you tempt Christ (How could you tempt Christ?), you'll will die from snake bites.
- If you murmur, you'll be destroyed by the destroyer (God). 10:10
- Those that "eateth and drinketh unworthily" will go to hell. 11:27
- Women are commanded by Paul to be silent in church and to be obedient to men. He further says that "if they
will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in
- Those who don't love Jesus are to be "anathema" (damned). 16:22