Cruelty and Violence
Science and History
SAB: 1 Chronicles
Dwindling in Unbelief
1 Chronicles: Injustice
- God killed Er for being "evil in the sight of the Lord." 2:3
- The sons of Reuben made war with the Hagarites and "there fell down many slain, because the
war was from God." They did pretty well for themselves, too, in God's war, taking 250,000
sheep and 100,000 slaves. 5:18-22
- But the Israelites "transgressed against the God of their fathers, and went a whoring
after the gods of the people of the land, whom God destroyed before them." So God inspired the
Assyrians to enslave the Israelites. 5:25-26
- "Phinehas ... the LORD was with him."
See Numbers 25:7-8 to see what he did when the Lord was with him.
- "Now the Philistines fought against Israel; and the men of Israel fled from
before the Philistines, and fell down slain in mount Gilboa."
God used the Philistines to kill the Israelite soldiers to punish Saul for not killing all the Amalekites. (See
1 Samuel 28:19) 10:1
- Saul died for refusing God's order to kill all of the Amalekites
(1 Sam 15:2-3, 18-19) and for consulting a witch
(1 Sam 28:8-19). 10:13-14
- David was thirsty, so he asked someone to get him some water from the Bethlehem well,
which was controlled by the Philistines. Three of his men broke through the enemy lines, got the water from
the well, and brought it back to David. But he refused to drink it and poured it on the ground.
- God kills Uzza for trying to keep the ark from falling. 13:9-10
- "The LORD said unto him, Go up; for I will deliver them into thine hand."
God tells David to go to war with the Philistines, promising to deliver them into his hand. 14:10
- "God hath broken in upon mine enemies by mine hand."
God helps David slaughter his enemies. 14:11
- "David therefore did as God commanded him: and they smote the host of the Philistines." 14:16
- "Abishai ... slew of the Edomites in the valley of
salt eighteen thousand ... and all the Edomites became David's servants. Thus the LORD preserved David whithersoever he went."
- David's army "wastes the children of Ammon ... besieged Rabbah ... and destroyed it."
- David tortured or enslaved (depending on translation) all the inhabitants of several cities.
- God killed 70,000 mean (and their families) in a plague to punish David for having a census that God (or Satan) inspired.
- "Possess this good land, and leave it for an inheritance for your children after you for ever."
This verse is used by Republicans to justify protecting the rich from taxation. 28:8